Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle Plastic
Transcript of Reduce, Reuse, Recycle Plastic
As presented, there are many advantages to recycle plastic:
Conserving natural resources
Creating jobs and additional economic activity
Reducing the environmental impacts of virgin material extraction
As we already know, the less favoured option but most environmentally-friendly is to reduce the usage of plastic. Additionally, maybe if we can, the best option is to avoid the usage plastic at all
South Korea Plastic Recycling Amount
Plastic quantity and composition for some Asian countries
TIMELINE & LIFETIME
Recycled bottles used to construct classrooms in Philippines
Recycling Automatic Machine
Great Pacific Garbage Patch - Ocean Pollution Awareness
DUMPED TRASH LIFETIME
Timeline - Precursors
• 1839 - Natural Rubber - method of processing invented by Charles Goodyear
• 1843 - Vulcanite - Thomas Hancock
Timeline - Beginning of the Plastic Era with Semi Synthetics
• 1839 - Polystyrene or PS discovered - Eduard Simon
• 1862 - Parkesine - Alexander Parkes
• 1872 - Polyvinyl Chloride or PVC - first created by Eugen Baumann
• 1894 - Viscose Rayon - Charles Frederick Cross, Edward John Bevan
Timeline - Thermosetting Plastics and Thermoplastics
• 1926 - Vinyl or PVC - Walter Semon invented a plasticized PVC
• 1933 - Polyvinylidene chloride or Saran also called PVDC - accidentally discovered by Ralph Wiley, a Dow Chemical lab worker
• 1937 - Polyurethanes tradenamed Igamid for plastics materials and Perlon for fibers. - Otto Bayer and co-workers discovered and patented the chemistry of polyurethanes
• 1938 - Polystyrene made practical
• 1939 - Nylon and Neoprene considered a replacement for silk and a synthetic rubber respectively Wallace Hume Carothers
• 1941 - Polyethylene Terephthalate or Pet - Whinfield and Dickson
• 1942 - Unsaturated Polyester also called PET patented by John Rex Whinfield and James Tennant Dickson
• 1951 - High-density polyethylene or HDPE tradenamed Marlex - Paul Hogan and Robert Banks
• 1951 - Polypropylene or PP - Paul Hogan and Robert Banks
• 1953 - Saran Wrap introduced by Dow Chemicals.
• 1954 - Styrofoam the trademarked form of polystyrene foam insulation, invented by Ray McIntire for Dow Chemicals
• 1970 - Thermoplastic Polyester this includes trademarked Dacron, Mylar, Melinex, Teijin, and Tetoron
U.S. PLASTIC RECYCLING HISTORY
> In the late 1980s, the United States was running out of landfill space
> Awareness : Communities started collection programs for recyclables
> MSW is frequently collected and hauled to a disposal sites in the United States
> APC (American Plastic Council) has sponsored research aimed at driving down the cost of collecting, processing, sorting and reclaiming plastics
> Problems : cost of recycling programs >> cost of waste disposal
Recycling is valued for :
> Conserving natural resources
> Creating jobs and additional economic activity
> Reducing the environmental impacts of virgin material extraction
> About 40 billion pounds of plastics are generated as MSW in the United States or 9.4% by weight of MSW produced
> The plastic industry annually recycles approximately 4 billion pounds of postconsumer and pre-consumer scrap plastics
> It can be split into approximately 1,4 billion pounds of pre-consumer scrap plastics and 2,6 billion pounds of postconsumer plastics
Plastics packaging comprises 12% of all packaging amount, although it only makes up 4% (1,6 billion pounds) of all MSW by weight.
Packaging of all types comprises only 33% of MSW
melt when heated to high temperature
do not melt when heated; instead, they harden
family of plastics represents about
of all plastics sold
> The entire spectrum of packaging plastics is
USEPA (United States Environmental Protection Agency), 1996 statistics
Essential Part of Recycling
6 INTERESTING FACT
In 1974 the first single use plastic bags were introduced to stores and presently over One Trillion bags are used each year.
It requires 3 times the amount of water to produce a plastic bottle than it does to fill it
90% of the price you pay for the bottled water goes to the plastic bottle, while the water cost you only 10% of the money you give.
Fish in the Ocean confuse plastic pieces for plankton and scientists have found that they eat more plastic than plankton. Wildlife also die from becoming entangled in plastic.
It takes 17 million barrels of oil to produce plastic bottles yearly. This could fuel 1 million cars for a year
There are many countries which have banned or restricted the use of plastic bags. Australia, China, Austria, Bangladesh, Ireland and several European Union countries are among them.
Recycling is only a
"We don't want people to stop recycling, because we have to do something with the plastic we end up with,"
"But, it's not the answer to our plastic problem."
"Most plastic from the U.S. gets shipped to China to be recycled where it's melted down in plants that pollute the local air and water."
"What's more, sometimes recycled plastic is "downcycled," that is, a plastic bottle isn't turned back into a plastic bottle."
"It's recycled into carpeting or fleece for clothing or some other product that often isn't or can't be recycled at the end of its useful life. "It's really just slowing down [plastic's] progress to the landfill."
PLASTIC RESIN CODE
RECYCLED PRODUCTS EXAMPLE
Single-family homes collection system
Multi-family homes collection system
Recycling Plastic Water Bottles in Canada
How Plastic Bottles are Recycled into Polyester in UK
South African Artist
Cooking with Ben in Queensland
Location of The Great Pacific Garbage
Upcoming EARTH DAY - 22 April