Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Jazz Dance
What is jazz dance?
Jazz dance, is a form of dance that shows a dancer's own style and originality. Every jazz dancer performs and creates moves and steps in their own way. This type of dancing is energetic and fun, having unique moves, fancy footwork, big leaps, and quick turns. To do great in jazz, dancers need a strong background in ballet, because it helps grace and balance.
form-fitting tank tops
jazz or dance pants (usually boot-cut or flared styles)
jazz shoes (optional)
Jazz dance came from the African American original dance, of the late 1800's to the mid-1900's. When African slaves were travelling to America, they were allowed to dance in order to maintain their fitness. These dances continued when they arrived at the plantations on which they worked in. During the 1900's, this helped cause the black Americans to lead the jazz movement. This movement quickly spread to the public, and the result was that dances began to develop.
Until the mid-1950s, the name "jazz dance" often was referred to tap dance, because tap dancing (set to jazz music), was the main performance dance of the time. After the 1950's, pioneers such as Katherine Dunham took the basics of Caribbean traditional dance and made it into a performing art. With the growing "rules" of other sorts of entertainment music, jazz dance developed into the new, smooth style that is taught today and known as Modern Jazz, while tap dancing followed its own, separate path.Today, jazz dance is presented in many different forms. It is commonly taught in dance schools and performed by dance companies around the world.
Here's a video that shows jazz dance...
1. Jazz square (a.k.a. box step)
- start with your hands on your hips, and your feet together. Then, cross your right foot over your left, and then take a step back with your left foot.
- move your right foot behind, next to your left foot, but leave some space between your left and right foot. Then, step front with your left foot.
- continue this, and your legs will move like a square.
- to add some more style, you can use your arms, swinging them from side to side
Famous jazz dancers...
presented by: Joyce, Darlene, & Diana
Michael Jackson, known as the "King Of Pop"
Katherine Dunham, who introduced isolations jazz dance
Jack Cole, cosidered the father of jazz dance technique
Eugene Louis Facciuto, also known as Luigi
Bob Fosse, who created a new form of jazz dance
Gus Giordano, known for his clear and precise movement qualities
...and many more!!
2. kick-ball change
- first, kick your right leg
- then, do a step with the same leg, and then cross your left leg over your right
Girls' Generation's song Genie, had some jazz dance moves to it.
NOW LET'S LEARN SOME JAZZ MOVES!!!!!
3. Step touch
- just step side to side (step, touch, step, touch)
...and that's it!! Thank you for watching!!