Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Mapping Global Media Flow and Contra-flow
Transcript of Mapping Global Media Flow and Contra-flow
How and when did global flow and contra-flow start?
-Immigration has existed throughout hundreds of years.
-Emigrants from developing countries to developed ones has doubled from 1990-2000.
-These men and women who emigrate still continue to have a personal and professional connection with their country of birth.
- The use of internet has increased from 3% in 1995 to more than 15% in the global population by 2005 and from those 90% of those were residents from industrialized countries.
Regional Media Flows
-The growing global flow of Americana in the United States in film and TV exports has increased dramatically from 1992-2004 in billions/ biggest exports is to Europe and secondly Middle East
-US dominates global entertainment because its movies are shown in more than 150 countries.
Localization of global Americana
- US studios are using small production facilities in other countries to produce programs and 2 important and largest markets in which are focused are China and India.
-Creating programs based in shows from U.S. but based in that country, for example: STAR TV (STAR Chinese Channel for Taiwan).
-Latin America MTV (MTV Latin America, CNN En Espanol, Fox Kids Network, ect.)
Print media (localization process) Newsweek: well established in Japanese, Korean, Spanish Arabic and Polish. Magazines also have international editions throughout the world.
Contra-flows: anti-hegemonic or pro Americana
-Global media traffic is just not one way from the west with USA to the rest of the world. With the new technology that has become available. New networks from the Southern Urban examples Cairo, Hong Kong, and Munbai
-Increase flow of content from global South to the North which we can say is the U.S.A
-Export of cultural goods by non-Western countries:
China, Japan, Russia, Mexico, South Korea, India, Brazil (BOOKS, NEWS PAPERS AND PERIODICALS, RECORDED MEDIA)
Conclusion and the Future to come
-Main sources of subaltern flow are Televisa Mexico, Venevision Venezuela, TV Globo Brazil
-has evolved into a 2 billion industry maybe more in 2013.
-In the next few decades Brazil, Russia, India, and China could become much larger and stronger economic forces in the world.
Examples of Cultural Flow
which focuses the multiple histories and directions of cultural flow in the way it has incorporated and indigence a range of global and local forms to provide an experience that has become part of mass popular culture.
Latin American telenovelas
- viewed all around the world/ can be a challenge to Hollywood, and their success has made them a global television phenomenon.
Pan-Arabic news network
-news that focuses 24/7, news to reinforce a US-designed order in the politically sensitive Middle East/ widening the public sphere.