Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Disease
CBC (complete blood count) shows anemia
Hemoglobin electrophoresis shows abnormal hemoglobin. People in the Mediterranean area
Found all over the world, highest concentration in South Asia
Asian, Chinese, Mediterranean, or African American ethnicity Genetic Most severe form results in stillbirth.
anemia in more severe cases.
minor cases have small red blood cells.
long term - heart faliure and liver problems. Diagnostics Thalassemia Genetic disorder
Mediterranean anemia, Cooley's anemia, Beta thalassemia, Alpha thalassemia
Two types -
Beta Thalassemia minor Thalassemia minor Treatment blood transfusions and folic acid supplements
bone marrow transplant Research Stem cell transplants to help cure patients with thalassemia major.
improving chelation therapy - removes excess iron
Bibliography http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000587.htm http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thalassemia/DS00905 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalassemia http://www.genome.gov/10001221 Minor