Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of India
Language Religion and Fashion
India's music is strongly connected to their religious traditions and faiths
Indian music is categorized into two major streams by scripture:
Margi Sangeetha (classical)
Desi Sangeetha (Folk)
Rich with direct emotional appeal
Origins can be traced back to Natya Shastra a Sanskrit treatise on drama
Every region in India has their own form of folk music
Desi Sangeetha tends to be more modern and has more of a worldly influence
Indian dance themes are derived from mythology, legends, and classical literature
Like Indian music, the two main divisions are:
Classical Indian Dance
Classical dance forms are based on ancient dance discipline
Have very rigid rules for presentation
Indian Folk Dance
Performed by mostly villagers for special occasions
Accompanied by folk instruments
Indian film industry based in Mumbai
Produces the largest number of films in Hindi language
Period from 1940-1960 was considered the Golden Age for Bollywood films
Major Writers who are either Indian or of Indian origin and derive much inspration from Indian Themes
• Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore- Nobel Prize for
• VS Naipaul- A Diaspora Indian novelist- Nobel Prize in 2001
• R. K. Narayan, Vikram Seth, Salman Rushdie, Arundhati Roy, Raja Rao, Amitav Ghosh, Vikram Chandra, Mukul Kesavan, Shashi Tharoor, Nayantara Sehgal, Anita Desai, Ashok Banker, Shashi Deshpande, Jhumpa Lahiri, Bharati Mukherjee.
• Mahatma Gandhi
o Father of the Nation
Embodiment of Non-Violence
• Swami Vivekananda
o Champion of Humanitarianismgore
1913-Nobel Prize in Literature
• Mother Teresa
o 1979- Nobel Prize in Peace
o Longest Epic in word literature
India is, the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history,
the grandmother of legend, and the great grandmother of tradition. Our most valuable and most instructive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only.
- Mark Twain
We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without which no worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made.
• Oldest literature in the world
• Sangam Poetry
Hindi is spoken as a mother tongue by about 40.22% of the population, mainly in the area known as the Hindi belt comprising Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh.
It is the official language of the Indian Union, of the four states mentioned above, and of two other states namely, Haryana and Himachal Pradesh.
Hinduism is a polytheistic and henotheistic religion with devotion to apantheon of gods.
Unlike the other two major ancient Indian religions, there is not one main teacher of Hinduism.
Important sacred writings of Hinduism are the Vedas, the Upanishads, the Ramayana, and Mahabharata. The Vedas may come from some time between the 2-4 millennium B.C. The other writings are more recent.
Karma and reincarnation are important elements of Hinduism.
The majority of the wedding is conducted in Sanskrit, considered the language of holy ceremonies
Ceremonies are very colorful!
Celebrations may extend for many days
The bride’s and groom’s home is decorated in color throughout
There are a few key rituals common in Hindu weddings
· Kanyadaan-giving away of daughter by the father,
· Panigrahana-voluntarily holding hands near the fire to signify union
· Saptapadi-taking seven steps with each step includes a vow/promise to each other before fire
The primary witness is the fire-deity (Sacred Fire) in the presence of family and friends
· Arrival of groom’s party at the bride’s residence
o Often a formal procession with dancing and music
Post-wedding ceremonies include:
· The welcoming of the bride to her new home
By law, no marriage is binding and complete unless the ritual of seven steps and vows in the presence of fire is completed by the bride and groom together
The Brahma marriage is the most prevelant among Hindus in modern India
A Hindu festival of lights, held in the period October-November.