Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Garden Pathways
Have a Garden Committee
* 10 heads are better than 1!
* Use shared knowledge to brainstorm ideas for increasing the usage of YOUR garden at YOUR school
* Try to get a teacher from each grade level to help
* Caution: this is a VERY stressful time for teachers
* Include parents too
* Plan for baby steps
* Every time one more child uses the garden, celebrate a win!
Recruit a Garden Guru!
If Mohammed will not go to the mountain, the mountain must come to Mohammed!
* Friday Memo
-Show a photo
-"Did you know"
-If ____ is in your curriculum, you have
got to check out what is happening in the
* YouTube Garden Channel
-Discovery Ed has nothing on us!
-Film what you see in the garden
-Send the links to teachers to include in their instruction
* Staff Meeting or Training - but....
If you build it, they will come!
Schedule, Schedule, Schedule!
Keep Your Eye on the Prize!
Start a Garden Club
* Before or after school
* 40 minutes or more
* See if you need a staff member to
* Create registration forms
- Emergency Contact Information
- Accident Insurance Information
- Photo permission
- Allergies - may not be able to eat
- Rules: Zero Tolerance
- Parent Volunteers
* Train students to be ambassadors to
teach their peers about the garden
Or maybe not...
Create an Outdoor Classroom
* Wake County Public Schools
-"I can't go to the garden, I have to follow CMAPP." (Curriculum Management Application)
-Coming this year - 66 CMAPP science lessons will include the use of school gardens (11 for each grade level).
-Inquiry based and include use of technology as well
* Lessons in General
-Consider starting a Garden Library for teachers,
students, and parents
-Include books with garden activities
The Growing Classroom - Garden Based Science
The Book of Gardening Projects for Kids
Sowing the Seeds of Wonder
-Include information books on gardening
-Make sure some of the books are "kid friendly"
Grow-it-at-Home Garden Night
* Have a garden information night
* Increasing parental interest will help
increase the usage of the school garden
-through increasing volunteers
-through increasing requests for using
* Invite local garden experts
* Invite local farmers
* Give tours of the garden
* Share your expertise
* Plant seeds to take home
* Have a website to share even more info
School Garden Activities: Growing Interest in Utilizing Your Garden
*Have a Planting Day! Make it a big event!
-Everyone takes part
*Throughout the growing season,
have classes take turns working on
specific tasks in the garden
-by grade levels
*Use sites like http://www.signupgenius.com/
* Help teachers gain comfort working in the garden and become more aware of how the garden connects with their curriculum
* Find a volunteer who is passionate about gardening and children
* Give them curriculum connections so they are aware
* Have teachers sign up to visit the garden with their classes
* Have the Garden Guru lead during the visits
* Be sure they purposefully point out curriculum connections