Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Study Skills
Presented by: Elise Michaux
Know Your Teacher
Take good notes
Note what you don't know
Sit in the front
Get to know the teacher & vice versus
Listen for verbal &watch nonverbal clues
Verbal: Pausing, repeating the same point, slowing down their rate of speech or speaking more loudly
Nonverbal: body language, writes on the board, makes eye contact or gestures
Review your notes
Rewrite notes (if need be)
Set (realistic) expectations & goals
Focus & concentrate
"My Ideal Study Environment"
Before you can decide
to study for a particular test, it's important that you know exactly what you're being tested
What are good studying techniques?
What are bad studying techniques?
Describe a good studying environment.
How do You Study?
The Keys to Successful Studying
Know Your Teacher
Out of Class:
Time Management (To do List)
Intrinsic and Extrinsic Motivation
Learning how to study is a long-term process
Out of Class
Good Study Places
At a friend's, neighbor's or relative's house
In an empty classroom
At your job
Wherever you choose to study, make it somewhere that is only for study
When Should You Study?
At your best
Study when you can
Give yourself the right amount of time
Use nonprime hours for easy tasks
Tired & Bored
Take a Nap
Red Bull or Coffee
Turn Down the Heat
Go for a Run
Change your Study Schedule
Right before you study
Gather all the materials
workbooks, books, notes, etc.
Ask yourself: What exactly do I need to review for this test?
Select material for review
Allocate the time you need
Is there something(s) I need to zero in on
Cramming doesn't work
Tips While Reading
is to read carefully but for a specific item
Having questions before you begin to read, helps extract the info you actually need
Seek Word Clues
likewise, in addition, moreover, furthermore, on the other hand, nevertheless
Now Go Back for Detail
Answer the four W's and H
Read with a Plan
1. Learn the terms that are important to understanding the concepts presented
2. Determine the structure or organization of the text. Most chapters have a pattern.
3. Skim the chapter to get a sense of the author's viewpoint
4. Do not go to the next chapter until you clearly understand --the concepts build upon each other
5. Write a summery of the concepts and theories you need to remember
Don't Study Everything
Narrow down what will be on the test
Make a "To Study" Sheet
On it should be: notes to recheck, topics, ideas and concepts
Make your own exam--the harder you make them, the better prepared and more confident you'll be
Familiarization breeds comfort and being comfortable is key to doing well
Works Cited: Fry, Ron How to Study 7th Ed. , Course Technology Cengage Learning. 2012