Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Organic Chemistry
4 Types of Organic Molecules:
the study of the composition and properties of matter.
Makes up everything, living or non-living!
The study of the composition and properties of LIVING matter
The smallest unit of an element
pure substance containing 1 type of atom.
Two or more
Ex: Water (H2O)
2 Hydrogen Atoms
1 Oxygen Atom
Oxygen or O2
- Molecules that contain Carbon and Hydrogen atoms
- May also contain: oygen, nitrogen, sulfur or phosphorous.
- Living things are composed of and need organic molecules in order to survive.
- Molecules that do NOT contain Carbon and Hydrogen.
- Examples: H2O
Pastas and Cereals
Fruits and Vegetables
Used for energy!
Fancy word for Sugars
Simple Sugars are converted into ATP during respiration.
How Do I Know I am
Looking at a Carbohydrate?
The name ends in __-__-__
C H O
6 12 6
a sugar with two ______________
Polysacharide- a sugar with
three or more ______________
a sugar with one ______________
1. Make Enzymes
2. Components of cell membranes, hair, nails
3. Hormones - insulin
4. Pigments -
Hemoglobin (Red in Blood)
Chlorophyll (Green in plants)
Melanin (Brown in skin)
5. Neurotransmitters -
chemicals released between nerve cells
A Protein is composed of subunits called _________ _______
How Do I Know I am
Looking at a Lipid?
2. Carboxyl Group - one "wing"
3. Hydrogen - off the top or bottom
4. "R" Group - random variable group
1. Amino Group - one "wing"
most proteins are 200-300 amino acids long
The atoms maybe arranged in the shape of an E
A lipid is composed of 4 subunits: 3 fatty acid chains and 1 glycerol
Stored Energy (back-up).
Component of cells membrane
Insulation on nerve cells.
Insulation to keep us warm!
FYI on Fats
1. _________________: is “animal fat” that is very tasty, but very unhealthy.
Ex: butter, Lard---both solid at room temp.
2. _________________: is “plant fat” that is not as yummy, but healthier!
Ex: olive oil, canola oil, soy bean oil---liquid at room temp.
The heredity or genetic material for all life on earth.
C H O N P S
- Living things also need inorganic molecules in order to survive.
Fancy Word for fats
synthesized in nucleus