Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Civil v Criminal Law
Transcript of Civil v Criminal Law
ASSUME that after school yesterday, Mr. Levy was walking in the mall. He didn't see spilled lemonade on the floor, slipped and fell. He broke his ankle in the fall. Because his job required him to be on his feet, He missed several days of work.
Besides having a sub and no annoying Mr. Levy,
write down the possible ways that he can support himself without losing that much money.
Suing would be which of the following?
Criminal law deals with wrongs against all of society.
Civil law deals with conflicts between individuals
Differences between Criminal and Civil law
Deals with wrongs against all of society
is the person charged with the crime. (Represented by the DEFENSE)
prepares and conducts the criminal proceedings of persons accused of crime, usually the government
- a minor crime, usually punished by a ticket rather than being arrested
- a minor crime that is usually punished by a fine or jail sentence of less than one year
- major crime
Deals with conflicts between individuals
is the person against whom the plaintiff brings a court action
is the party who brings a suit or some other legal action against another (the defendant) in court.
Breach of contract-
A breach of legal duty; failure to do something that is required in contract
A wrongful act, other than breach of contract, for which an injured party has the right to sue
case involves divorce and child custody
cases generally resolve damage to something that someone owns
Petit Jury- decides the case
Plea Bargain(Out of Court Settlement)
Out of Court Settlement
Decisions in Criminal and Civil cases:
The attempt to settle a legal dispute through active participation of a third party who works to find points of agreement.
Negotiations between parties and/or attorneys in which the parties work out a settlement agreement without the judicial system, Saves time and money for both sides
When an impartial person is chosen to settle the argument for the parties
On the any space on your worksheet,
1. Write down how the Trayvon Martin/ George Zimmerman incident is both Criminal AND Civil law?
William Todd- 11 felonies in 9 hours
1. Broke into a Nashville Business
2. Stole- Taser, revolver, shotgun and T-Shirt
3. Burned it down
4. Held four patrons at gunpoint- tased one and pistol whipped another
5. Carjacked a Taxi at gunpoint- bought food with stolen credit cards
6. Broke into a hotel's law office- vandalized the offices and defecated on a desk and framed law degrees
7. Crashed taxi into a local parking garage, held up another taxi at gun point
Litigant = Plaintiff
(Beyond a reasonable doubt)
(Preponderance of evidence-more convincing evidence and its probable truth or accuracy)
Add on your chart:
GRAND JURY- reviews evidence to determine if enough to charge someone with a crime
PETIT JURY- determine guilty or not guilty
PLEA BARGAIN- plead guilty or provide assistance for a lesser charge
What is criminal/ civil law?