Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
6.09 Types of Estuaries
Transcript of 6.09 Types of Estuaries
2) Tampa Bay- Open water estuary
3) Charlotte Harbor Estuary- bar built estuary 4) Saint Lawrence Estuary (Canada)- freshwater estuary (river dominated)
-A major problem that this estuary has had is that in 1987, approximately 100,000 acres of seagrass died which was later followed by plankton deaths and the death of sponges in the Florida Bay. Because boats are allowed in the shallow Florida Bay, there is extensive damage to the sea grasses found there due to boat propellers.
-Animals that are found in this estuary are American crocodiles, bottleneck dolphins, manatees, sea turtles, brown pelicans, eagles, ospreys, and diamondback terrapins. Trouts, redfish, tarpon, barracude, sharks, and rays also live in this estuary. The Florida Bay also provides a nursery for pink shrimp and habitats for lobsters and stone crabs.
- One fo the important factors of this esturay is that it provides seagrass to be consumed by every organism in the Florida Bay which supports the entire food chain of the Bay.
-A major threat to this estuary is that more than four billion gallons of oil and other hazardous materials passed through the Tampa Bay each year which pose major problems to life living in the Bay. Another threat to Tampa Bay is habitat loss do to increasing expansion of nearby cities.
- There are more than 200 species of fish that live in this estuary such as snook, redfish, and spotted sea trout. There are also numerous numbers of phytoplankton living in the Tampa Bay. Manatees also reside in the Tampa Bay as do sea turtles.
- One of the important factors of this estuary is that it the Bay is the primary focus of the region's industry of tourism, which helps Florida's economy. Also, a good majority of the manatee population of the Gulf Coast resides near power plants on the Bay's coasts in order to stay warm during the winter.
- A major threat to this estuary is the rapid increase of growth and development of surrounding cities. Another major threat to this estuary is the overuse of natural resources.
-Some animals that live in the Charlotte Harbor estuary are alligators, manatees, bald eagles, crocodiles, loggerhead sea turtles, sturgen and sometimes Florida Panthers. This estuary is also home to coastal mangroves and beds of seagrasses.
-This estuary is important because it is a source of income becaus of the many different activities that can be done in this estuary such as boating, kayaking, fishing, and canoeing. It is also considered a major watershed because it is connected to so many different rivers such as the Myakka River and the Peace River. These rivers are used as tourists areas and are used to teach the public about the Harbor and the surrounding estuaries.
- One of the major threats to this estuary is the climate change that have resulted in warmers and less oxygen enriched rivers going through the Saint Lawrence Estuary.Another threat from the weather is that is the nutrients from the water it can result in a phytoplankton bloom that can kill important animals in the estuary.-This estuary has a small area of plankton growth and is home to many different species of fish and birds. The Saint Lawrence Estuary is also the home to a small population of beluga whales and harbor seals.-This estuary is one of the best areas in the world to go whale watching which makes tourists travel here and learn about the ecosystem. This estuary is also important because of its wide diversity and high compacity of marine life. Sources 1)Unknown. Tampa Bay Estuary Program. Tampa Bay Estuary Program. 2011. Web. 20 Jan 2013.
2) Unknown. Florida Bay. Museum of Science. 1997. Web. 20 Jan 2013.
3) Unknown. Charlotte Harbor. Wikipedia. 3 Jan 2012. Web. 20 Jan 2013.
4) Unknown. Saint Lawrence Estuary. Oceana. 2012. Web. 20 Jan 2013.