Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Caffeine
"most popular drug"
90% of the world consumes caffeine everyday
pills (ie. headache/weight loss pills)
30 mg - noticeable stimulant effects
500 mg increases heart rate and breathing
more than 10 g-
Caffeine is a
causes an increase in urine production
Mechanism of Action
limits signals sent to release NE
adenosine receptor antagonist
increases signals to release NE
fatal overdose is
irregular or rapid heart rate
fight or flight mechanism:
faster heart rate
decrease in appetite
causes sustain weight loss?
safe during pregnancy?
builds up depending on caffeine intake and how consistent the dosage is
speeds up metabolism
enzymes work harder
half-life of 5-7 hours
after 8-10 hours, caffeine is 75% metabolized
Route of Administration: Oral
easily gets absorbed into cell membranes of stomach and intestines
effects within 30-60 minutes
caffeine in combination with other drugs is dangerous: blood pressure (ie. antidepressants)
stimulant that causes dependency
up regulation of adenosine receptors
down regulation of NE receptors
* Avoid intense withdrawal by decreasing intake and limiting dosage NOT by stopping abruptly
1) Have you ever worked out with caffeine? How did you feel?
2) Do you agree with Michaels in that caffeine pills are safer because the dose is more regulated? Why or why not ?
3) If caffeine is allowed on the “Biggest Loser” why do you think caffeine pills aren’t?
4) Should caffeine pills replace energy drinks when exercising?