Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Coronary Artery Disease/ Atherosclerosis
Transcript of Coronary Artery Disease/ Atherosclerosis
Signs & Symptoms
Chest pain (Angina)
Shortness of breath
Nausea and vomiting
By: Jan, Jez, Pia, Cristina, & Malgosia
Causes & Risk Factors
Age & Gender
High blood cholesterol
- begins with a lesion in the endothelium of an artery
- can appear as early as 15 yrs old; still reversible
- Collagen encloses fatty streaks; can appear by age 30
- plaque becomes unstable and ruptures; platelets accumulate and starts to clot
Management for people at risk:
Increase intake of complex carbohydrates
Omega-3 fatty acids
Fiber, Antioxidants, B-complex vitamins
Monitor BP, Blood glucose
Compliance with medication
Reduce intake of saturated fats
Coronary Artery Disease -
the most common type of heart disease that happens when the arteries that supply blood to the heart muscles become hardened and narrowed due to buildup of cholesterol and other materials called plaque. This buildup is called
Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG)
Does atherosclerosis only affect the coronary arteries? Why?
Are you guaranteed to be free from CAD after surgery of the coronary arteries?
A doctor will diagnose based on:
Medical and family histories
Risk factor for CAD
Cardiac catheterization or angiogram
Magnetic resonance angiography (MRA)
Based on Neuman's Systems Model, give 3 examples of primary lines of defence against CAD
What are some psychological factors that can contribute to CAD?
Community Hospital Resources:
Cardiac Program (Vancouver) @ Syd and Joanne Belzberg Cardiac Rehabilitation Clinic - VGH
Healthy Heart Program (Surrey) @ Jim Pattison Outpatient Care and Surgery Centre
Cardiac Care - Heart Centre @ St.Paul's Hospital
Local Community Resources:
Happy Hearts Program - Supervised Exercise Program
Healthy Heart Program - (Medically supervised exercise, nutrition counseling (Dietitian), lipid management & weight management)