Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Artificial Lungs
- Creates lungs for patients who need new ones and cannot wait for their transplant.
- Lesser waiting time to receive lungs if they can be made for patients.
- The small features in this artificial lung allow high gas exchange levels due to the very small diffusion distances.
- This device would be driven by the heart and there would be no need for a mechanical pump.
- Oxygen exchange efficiency is 3-5 times faster than other models. Disadvantages of the Artificial Lung: - This artificial lung is still in the early stages of development.
- Gas exchange requirements in adults can vary, so “one sized lung fits all” does not apply in this situation.
- The body could reject the lung because it is a foreign object.
- The artificial lung could potentially injure blood cells, causing clotting.
- It could put too much stress on the heart. Canadian Contribution: The development of the artificial lung is still in its early infant stages, although Canadian research hasn’t made a vast contribution to the development of these specific artificial lungs, Canadian doctors have used external lungs on patients before. There have been a number of surgeries performed in Canada, such as at SickKids hospital in Toronto, where doctors have inserted the German invented external lung, “Novalung” into patients, that breaths and circulates the blood, all using the pumping of the heart. Citation: Lipson, S. (27 , January). smartplanet. Retrieved from http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/rethinking-healthcare/new-artificial-lung-breathes-like-a-real-one/5897
Nolan, H. (2011, January 1). Artificial lung basics. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3082030/