Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Golgi Apparatus and Vacuole
Transcript of Golgi Apparatus and Vacuole
A major function of the golgi body is modifying, sorting and packaging proteins into vesicles for secretion. It is also involved in the creation of lysosomes and the transport of lipids around the cell.
Kelly, Arif, and Jeremiah
How its structure and function work together
There are usually five or six folds of the Golgi Apparatus but sometimes as many as sixty has been seen. The more folds there are on the Golgi body, the more it can do its job. The structure of the Golgi also helps it to take up a smaller are while being able to still work.
The main function of the vacuole is to hold water. There are also other functions such as:
• Isolating materials that might be harmful or a threat to the cell
• Containing waste products
• Maintaining internal hydrostatic pressure within the cell
• Maintaining an acidic internal pH
• Exporting unwanted substances from the cell
• Allows plants to support structures such as leaves and flowers due to the pressure of the central vacuole
• In seeds, stored proteins needed for germination are kept in 'protein bodies', which are modified vacuoles.
How the structure and function works together
The vacuoles structure can increase and decrease as much as needed. this is useful for the function because it is the storage house of the cell and a storage house would be no good if it had no space too store anything.
The structure of the golgi body is just a bunch of folds of membranes that are called cisternae. Each section of the folds have their own jobs.
The Golgi body works with the ER. Once a vesicle leaves the ER it arrives at the Golgi Body to finish the protein production.
the Golgi also works with the nucleus because the nucleus creates proteins and the golgi body finishes it off.
The vacuole is a membrane bound sac containing water and other substances like enzymes.
The vacuole works with the cell wall of the plant cells. If the vacuole gets too large, the cell wall stops the cell from bursting.
The vacuole also works with the cytoplasm of the cell. Well, its more accurate to say that the cytoplasm depends on the vacuole. This is because the volume of the plant cell depends on the vacuole instead of the cytoplasm
The Golgi Apparatus was discovered in 1896 by Camillo Golgi
Nicotine and other toxins are stored in vacuoles
The large vacuole was discovered by Felix Dujardin in 1841
The vacuole is the largest part of a cell.
The Golgi was named after the Italian scientist Camillo Golgi.
Golgi Apparatus and Vacuole.