Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Self-regulated decisions in adolescence
Transcript of Self-regulated decisions in adolescence
in adolescence Why do adolescents
take more risks? What we've found.... When emotional aroused,
rewards are more salient! What we thought... Adolescents think they are invincible! Beyth-Marom, et al., 1993 Your friends ask you to come along with them for a drive after a party where everyone had been drinking.
You were at a party where marijuana was passed around.
Some of your friends planned to skip school and go to the mall instead.
You discussed with your boy/girlfriend whether or not to have sex together.
A friend invited you to come to his housefor a beer party while his parents were away. What are the consequences? Millstein & Halpern-Felsher, 2002 vs. socioemotional
network Gardner & Steinberg, 2005 So what should we do? Education may not be the answer Concentrate on limiting opportunities for immautre judgments to have harmful consequences.
Understand the contextual factors that influence self-regulation.
Familiarize adolescents with real statisitics about health-risk behaviors. Make sure they know they norms.