Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Andrew Jackson
Extinction of National Debt
Historiography of Andrew Jackson
- Founder of the Democratic Party- present today
- Democratic Party according to Jackson:
- A party of the common people
- Denies special treatment of elite
- Promise of territory and expanse in the West to the common people (white people)
The American Hero
War of 1812
Indian Removal Act of 1830
Evolution / Development
- No longer Second Bank
- "Bank War"
- Federal funds to "pet banks"
-1835 National debt paid
- Van Buren and Jackson believed in "man of the people"
- Spoils System
by: Hannah Rajasekaran, Allison Taylor & Leila Teymourtash
Election of 1828
Jacksonian Era 1824- 1845
- Joined the Continental Army at 13
- Lawyer in Tennessee in late 1780s
- 1796, elected as Tennessee's first US Representative
Election of 1832
- Born March 15, 1767 during era of American Revolution
- Mother died from cholera and brothers died in Revolution - raised by uncles
- Married Rachel Donelson Robards before her divorce was final
- Forced Indians to move from their land to Western reservations
- Ignored Supreme Court ruling in Worcester v. Georgia (1832)
-No removal by force
-1838-39, 15,000 Cherokees to Oklahoma
- Gave offices to his political supporters
- Kitchen Cabinet
- Whigs were against Jackson
- Jackson vs. Clay
- First use of National Party Conventions
- Focused on Bank of the United States
-Jackson was against the national bank
Jackson dies in 1845
- Fought in the War of 1812
- January 8, 1815, defeated the British in New Orleans
- Overthrew the Spanish Governor in Florida
Election of 1824
- Against John Quincy Adams (corrupt bargain)
- Jackson's Democratic was introduced
- Calhoun V.P.
- Ran against incumbent John Quincy Adams
-Popular vote in South and Southwest
- Focused on personalities rather than issues-
- 1st president not from Virginia or Massachusetts, he is a self-made man of the west
- People like Adams and Clay were incapable of listening to the interests of the common man
- A man of the people- not from a wealthy
- Military hero- Battle of New Orleans 1815
- Pushed westward expansion
- Maltreatment of Natives
- At times irrational