Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
black history month
Transcript of black history month
- Harriet Tubman Satchel Paige His full name is Leroy Robert Paige. He was the first black pitcher in the major league. The Satchel Paige foundation helps single parents get their degrees. "Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching." Jackie Robinson was the first African-American to play Major League Baseball. 1919-1972 When he first started playing baseball professionally, Blacks and Whites played in different leagues. He was then chosen to join the Brooklyn Dodgers by Branch Rickey. Rickey wanted to to have one multicultural league. Jackie Robinson He made advancements in the cause of civil rights for Black athletes. In 1955 he helped the Brooklyn Dodgers to win the world series. "I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me... all I ask is that you treat me with respect as a human being." Lincoln Alexander He was the first Canadian black man to hold the position of Lieutenant Governor in Canada. He was known as a activist for visible minorities and protecting education for youth. "It is no your duty to be average. It is your duty to set a higher example for others to follow. I did. You can. You will." Malcolm X Malcolm X's birthday is February 21, 1925 Malcolm X is a human rights
activist and also a member of
the Black Panther Party and the
nation of Islam. "If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything." "Education is the passport to the future,for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today" Harry Belafonte Martin Luther King Jr. Morgan Freeman Oprah Winfrey Barack Obama Oprah Gail Winfrey was born January 29, 1954 She is an American media proprietor, talk show host, actress, producer and philanthropist Oprah went through a lot as a child, she was fairly poor, and had a son at age 14 who died shortly after birth. Quote: Surround yourself with only people who are going to lift you higher - Oprah Winfrey -Barack Husein Obama was born on August 4, 1961 -Barack was involved in politics a long time before he was president, because he wanted to make a positive change in the world -Barack Obama is the first African-American president, and has left a huge impact on not only America, but the world. "There is not a Liberal America and a Conservative America-there is the United States of America. There is not a black America, and a white America and latino America and Asian America- there's the United States of America."-Barack Obama Michael Jordan (MJ) - Born in Brooklyn, NY
(Feb 17, 1963)
-Famous NBA Legend and
Entrepreneur of Air Jordan (shoes/clothing)
- Donates money to various charities and causes.
- Famous Quote: Some people want it to happen, some people wish it would happen, and some people make it happen! Michaelle Jean Michaelle Jean was born on September 6, 1957 in Haiti. At age 11 she came to Canada as a refugee. Michaelle Jean was former Governor General of Canada. She was also the first female black governor general in Canadian history. Before she was appointed governor, she was a journalist who undertook charity work. In 2010 she resigned form her duty as governor general. She continues to serve as a humanitarian by taking action to help people. I once was a little girl who saw her father strike her mother . my younger sister and i lived with anguish that all children feel free when their family unit breaks down. ~ Michaelle Jean Michael
Jackson Michael Joseph Jackson was born on the 29th of August in 1958. He was born in Gary, Indiana and he died in Los Angeles U.S.A on June 25th, 2009.
He was a singer, song writer, entertainer, dancer, arranger, music producer, choreographer, actor, businessman, musician, and a philanthropist. ' I'm a black American, I proud of my race. I am proud of who I am. I have a lot of pride and dignity.'
- Michael Jackson Born on October 15, 1935, Fredricton, NB. Willie Eldon O'ree was the first black hockey player to play in the NHL Willie encouraged young players to play hockey and loved to see them improve in the game. Born on January 15, 1929 MLK is famous for being a civil rights activist
and is a person who wanted to drive out segregation
for it was an unfair judgement for many people.
On October 14, 1964, King received the Nobel Peace Prize for combating racial inequality through nonviolence. Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated on April 4, 1968, in Memphis, Tennessee. Died on April 4, 1968 "If you lay down people will step over you, but if you keep scrambling, if you keep going, someone will always, always give you a hand." He started a foundation called "Rock River Foundation." He has donated millions of dollars to educational programs. Morgan Freeman was born on June, 1, 1937 in Memphis. Whitney Houston -one of the first African American women to appear on the cover of Seventeen magazine -Her first tour albums topped global sales with
over 86 million copies "I decided long ago never to walk in
anyone's shadow. If I fail, or succeed, at
least I did as I believe."
-Whitney Houston Full name:Harold George Bellafante
Born: March 1st, 1927 (age 85)
Harry Belafonte is a singer and activist. He is well known for singing the "Banana Boat song." Harry is not only a singer he is also a very caring person who helped organize the Grammy award winning song "We Are The World." He also received an appointment with UNICEF as a goodwill ambassador. Not only did he do that he also went to South Africa to support campaigns against HIV/ADIS.Harry Belafonte is one more caring person we can remember in black history month. Michelle Obama Born on January 17, 1964, in Chicago, Illinois and is the first black lady to be the first lady of America. She went to Harvard and a became a lawyer. She believes that America can change for the better!
Quote: " If you work hard, success will come" Detective Alton C. Parker Birth-Death: 1907-1989
He was the first black detective in Canada. He joined the Windsor Police Force in 1942 and became the first black constable of Windsor. After retirement, he would throw an annual party for the unfortunate in the community. He won many awards for his excellence in law enforcement. Welcome to our Awards Assembly! Willard Christopher Smith Jr (Will Smith) Born: September 25, 1968 Will Smith Was the first African American person to be in the Professional comedy business .
During the 1980's and 1990's he influenced young people as a rapper by having a positive message in his songs and never cursed like other rappers.
For Black History month he showed how a black male can be talented in today's society.
"I fall, I rise, I make mistakes, I live, I learn, I've been hurt but I'm stronger. I'm not perfect but I'm thankful." Actor, producer, rapper BEYONCE BEYONCE WROTE MICHELLE OBAMA A CARING LETTER IN WHICH SHE EXPRESSED HOW MUCH SHE APPRECIATES EVERYTHING THE FIRST LADY HAS DONE. "MICHELLE IS THE ULTIMATE EXAMPLE OF THE TRULY STRONG AFRICAN-AMERICAN WOMEN"THE LETTER READS,"THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EVERY SINGLE THING THAT YOU DO FOR US" Nelson Mandela Quote: "No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate and if they learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite". QUOTE: i just wanna tell you how much you mean to me, how much i care about you and how much i love you. BORN: SEPTEMBER 4, 1981 Jean Augustine Jean Augustine was born September,
9, 1937 in Grenada. She was elected to the House of Commons.
She also served on numerous organizations and boards such as The National Black Coalition of Canada and the Hospital for Sick Children. She also sponsored the bill that officially recognized Black History Month on the federal level. ~Nelson Mandela Nelson Mandela was born on July 18, 1918. He was the President of South Africa from 1994-1999. Mandela focused on dismantling apartheid legacy, having no racism, poverty and inequality.
He became actively involved in the anti-apartheid movement and joined the African National Congress in 1942. For 20 years, he directed a campaign of peaceful, non-violent defiance against the South African government and its racist policies.
Nelson Mandela fought for his rights but soon became jailed in 1962.
He was released from 27 years behind the bars on February 11th, 1990. Willie O'Ree 1963-2012 Aubrey Drake Graham, commonly known as Drake was born on October,24,1986. Drake started as an actor in a hit miniseries named 'Degrassi: The next generation' then later became a Rapper/Songwriter. Drake always cared for his friends and family.When Drake started acting his mother got very sick and Drake dedicated all the money he earned toward helping his mother get better. Drake is best known for his most successful song the Motto and his most successful album Take Care. Drake