Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Physical and Chemical Changes
Transcript of Physical and Chemical Changes
Can I determine whether a physical or chemical change occurred?
A physical change is a change in size, shape, form, weight, and other physical properties.
(the identity doesn’t change)
Imagine a piece of silver that has been pounded and molded into a ring.
of the silver is the only thing that changed.
Its properties are still the same!
The piece of silver is
change the identity of the matter involved.
What do you think??
- Mixing oil and vinegar
- Tearing aluminum foil
- Molding Clay
- Breaking glass
What is a CHEMICAL CHANGE?
A chemical change occurs when
one or more substances
are changed into
new substances with different properties
of Chemical Changes
Baking a Cake
Chemical changes change the
of the matter involved.
An important question to ask yourself when trying to decide if a physical or chemical change happened is:
CLUES to a Chemical Change
You usually need
2 or more
of these characteristics to be considered a chemical change!
Example: Alka Seltzer
If fizzing or foaming occurs, this means that a
has been produced.
Formation of a
* Test tube bleach demonstration
Heat and/or Light
Yeast and Peroxide Demonstration
Physical changes are
To leave class...
1. A ____________ change occurs when one or more substances are changed into a new substance with different properties.
2. Which of the following is a PHYSICAL change? EXPLAIN WHY.
a. Rust forming
b. Tearing aluminum foil
Give one example of a chemical change and explain how you know it is a chemical change.
words from the word wall and
the meaning of each..
Examples of Physical Changes...
Cereal turns soggy
Leaves changing color in the fall
Sublimating Dry Ice
Formation of copper into wire
Cloud forming in the sky
Lighting a match
Roasting a Marshmallow
Deflating a basketball
Crumpling of paper
Inflating a Volleyball
Dissolving Sugar in Water