Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Post-Impressionism
In search of a new style
From using color and light to landscape, to using light and color in terms of describing the nature or structure of a subject
The bridge between impressionism and abstraction
Imagination vs. reality
More personally expressive than impressionism
Moved away from the ‘journalistic’ tendencies of earlier styles 11.24, 1864 -9.9, 1901 Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec Paris, France
Italy Countries of Practice Social Political/Historical Events Country of Origin: Alibi, France
Characteristic of their style: Was very intrigued by night life and the luxury of society in Paris. He was described as having a very gluttonous personality - this deeply affected his work in the studio.
Preferred Medium: Oil Painting, Printmaking (posters for celebrities)
Quote: “In our time there are many artists who do something because it is new; they see their value and their justification in this newness. They are deceiving themselves; novelty is seldom the essential. This has to do with one thing only; making a subject better from its intrinsic nature.” Date: 1890 (about 26 years old)
Size: 45 1/2 x 59 inches
Medium: Oil on canvas Dance at the Moulin Rouge Additional Images Country of Origin: Zundert, Netherlands
Characteristic of their style: Prefers to draw still lifes with a mixture of abstraction, plays with color and contrast. In some paintings he will use brighter colors, and in some he will focus on using a lot of darker ones.
Preferred Medium: Oil on Canvas
Quote: I dream of painting and then I paint my dream.. Vincent van Gogh 3.30, 1853 - 7.29, 1890 Starry Night Date: 1889 ” Size: 29” x 36" Medium: Oil on canvas Additional Images Paul Cézanne 01.19, 1839 - 10.22, 1906 Country of Origin: Aix-en-Provence, France
Characteristic of their style: Prefers still life (similar to Van Gogh), plays with color and abstraction yet does not venture too much into fantasy (as opposed to Van Gogh). Was a perfectionist, was highly interested in 3D art.
Preferred Medium: Oil on canvas, watercolor
Quote: I could paint for a hundred years, a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing. The Card Players Date: 1890–92 Size: 25 3/4 x 32 1/4 in Medium: Oil on canvas Additional Images Georges-Pierre Seurat 12.2.1859 - 03.29.1891 Country of Origin: Paris
Characteristics: Invented pointillism (making a painting with tiny dots, created colors with tiny dots of a bunch of colors that as a whole make up another color). He was also very into the study of color theory.
Preferred Medium: Oil on canvas
Quote: Some say they see poetry in my paintings; I see only science. A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte Additional Images Date: 1884 Size: 27 3/4 x 41 in. Medium: Oil on canvas Works-Cited Page 1. "Post Impressionism." West Valley College, Saratoga CA . N.p., n.d. Web. 31 Aug. 2012. <http://instruct.westvalley.edu/grisham>
2. Bessonova, Marina, and William James Williams. Impressionism and Post-Impressionism. New York: Aurora Art Publishers, 1986. Print.
3. Wallace, Robert. The world of Van Gogh, 1853-1890. New York: Time-Life Books, 1969. Print.
4. "Henri De Toulouse-Lautrec - The complete works." Henri De Toulouse-Lautrec - The complete works. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Sept. 2012. <http://www.toulouse-lautrec-foundation.org/>.
5. Period, Time. "Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec (18641901) | Thematic Essay | Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History | The Metropolitan Museum of Art." The Metropolitan Museum of Art - Home. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Sept. 2012. <http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/
6. "Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec Quotes - BrainyQuote." Famous Quotes at BrainyQuote. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Sept. 2012. <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/
7. "Paul Cezanne Quotes Page 2 - BrainyQuote." Famous Quotes at BrainyQuote. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Sept. 2012. <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/a
8. "Art Quotes by Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec - Art Quotes - The Painter's Keys Resource of Art Quotations." Art Quotes, Art Quotations & Art Sayings - The Painter's Keys. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Sept. 2012. <http://quote.robertgenn.com/auth_search.php?authid=1993>.
9. " The Athenaeum - Dance at the Moulin Rouge (Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec - 1889-1890) ." Welcome to The Athenaeum. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Sept. 2012. <http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/full.php?ID=8832>
10. "Philadelphia Museum of Art - Collections Object : At the Moulin Rouge: The Dance." Philadelphia Museum of Art. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Sept. 2012. <http://www.philamuseum.org/collection
11. Period, Time. "Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec (18641901) | Thematic Essay | Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History | The Metropolitan Museum of Art." The Metropolitan Museum of Art - Home. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Sept. 2012. <http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/
12. "Post-Impressionism." redirect. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Sept. 2012. <http://academics.smcvt.edu/awerbel/Survey%20of%20Art%20History%20II/PostImpressionism.htm>
13. "La Parade 1888 - Georges Seurat - www.georgesseurat.org." Georges Seurat - The complete works. N.p., n.d. Web. 7 Sept. 2012. <http://www.georgesseurat.org/La-Parade-1888.html>.
14. "GEORGES PIERRE SEURAT." GEORGES PIERRE SEURAT. Mesa County Valley School District #51,, n.d. Web. 12 Sept. 2007. <http://www.artheritageprogram.org/Seurat07.pdf>. Unraveling of national politics
Advancement in transportation (cars, bicycles)
Rise in night life