Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Sociolinguistics
2. How creation/adherence to these rules is used to categorize individuals in social or socioeconomic classes. Speech community - Group of people who use language in a unique and mutually accepted way among themselves.
- Often develop slang or jargon to serve the group's special purposes and priorities. Fundamentals High prestige and low prestige varieties
- Certain speech habits are assigned a positive or a negative value, which is then applied to the speaker.
- Micro & macro
- Speakers 'choose' a variety when making a speech act, whether consciously or subconsciously. Social network
A particular speech community in terms of relations between individual members in a community. A network could be loose or tight depending on how members interact with each other. Will also determine the communicative choices. Internal vs. external language
I-language (internal language) and E-language (external language).
Internal language applies to the study of syntax and semantics in language on the abstract level (mentally represented knowledge in speaker).
External language applies to language in social contexts, (behavioral habits shared by a community). "Hiyamac"