Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
French Leadership Styles
Transcript of French Leadership Styles
- First names only used by family and friends.
- "Bonjour/bonsoir, madame/monsieur" and "au revoir."
- Gifts are appreciated, but must follow certain rules (ex. flowers, wine, etc...), and they are opened upon being received.
- If expected to be late, call!
- The further the south, the less important time is.
- US relaxed ≠ French relaxed. In A Business Setting - When it comes to management, formal interactions are favored in a French business setting.
- Hierarchy is well-established, and most businesses are centered around high authority.
- Discussions are encouraged throughout middle-management, but decisions are usually always made my the highest authority.
- Every detail of a proposal will be analyzed, no matter how minute.
- Logical presentation > high-pressure sales tactics. Culturally Speaking... - Humble would not be the word to describe the French, as they generally believe they are "intellectually superior to any other nationality." (The Telegraph)
- Their language style is direct and unapologetic.
- Silence is not always golden.
- Language is thought of as a strong tool - to motivate, argue, convince and dominate. Being a Leader in France - The French are moderately accepting of change, but innovations and new ideas must have a solid background and logical explanation.
- Embarrassment and/or failure = long-term loss of confidence from the individual and others.
- Missed deadlines is a sign of incompetency, as agendas are always highly scheduled and planned out.
- Teamwork is highly emphasized, and although there may be a team leader, praise and acknowledgment is given to all. Ranking Within GLOBE Studies - Charismatic/Value-Based: In the lower part of the "higher" sector.
- Team Oriented: In the middle.
- Participative: In the top of the "middle" sector.
- Humane Oriented: The lowest of the "lower" sector.
- Autonomous: One of the lowest.
- Self-Protective: In the middle. Helpful Hints! - Respect the language.
- Do not say "bonjour" to the same person in one day.
- At work, don't communicate across hirearchy, unless specifically told otherwise.
- Take regular lunch and coffee breaks, even if working on something important.
- Social status depends on education - not money.
- Give flowers in odd numbers - except the number 13.
- Do not be overly friendly, especially in a business setting.
- Don't start eating until the hostess says bon appetit! Within a Cross-Cultural Context French Leadership Styles