Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of The Bill of Rights
Transcript of Copy of The Bill of Rights
5 freedoms protected
Protects the rights of the people to own guns
Protects the people from having to allow soldiers in their homes
Privacy of the home
Protects the people from unreasonable searches of people or their property
or the taking of a person's property
Rights in CRIMINAL trials
Value over $20: jury trial allowed
After a jury decides the facts, a judge cannot overturn that decision
People have all other rights even if they are not listed in the Constitution
Powers not given to the federal government, or prohibited by the Constitution, are the powers of the states or the people
Congress shall make no law...
Two guarantees of religious freedom:
1. Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion =
No official faith of the United States
No laws that favor one religion over another
"A wall of separation between
church, and state."
2. ..."prohibiting the free exercise thereof"=
People can believe, or not believe what they want, without fear of punishment
Press= all the media and agencies that print, broadcast, or gather and transmit news
Citizens can use public property to gather for meetings or demonstrations
The right to present requests to the government
Debate over meaning:
A well regulated milita, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
1. Grand jury hearing
2. No double-jeopardy
(can't be tried twice for same crime)
1. Right to a speedy, public trial
2. Right to an impartial jury
3. Right to know charges against you
4 .Right to hear and question witnesses against you
5. Right to an attorney to assist in defense
Before trial: protection from
After trial: protection from excessive fines or cruel and unusual punishment.
If a good reason is shown, judge must issue a warrant that says exactly who will be arrested, what will be searched
watchdogs of government
Press keeps a check on the people in power
The right to ask the government to do something, or not do something
5 rights of accused criminals
4. Must have due-process (government must follow clear rules and act reasonably as it carries out the law)
3. No self-incrimination (can't be forced to say things that could be used against you)
5. Eminent domain: your private property can't be taken "without just compensation"
Rights in CIVIL trials
A review song...
Words: unpopular speech is protected
Symbolic speech (actions that express an idea)
Not those that endanger public safety
the first ten amendments that were added to the Constitution to protect the individual rights and freedoms not addressed in the original Constitution.
Anti- Federalists- People who worried the Constitution gave too much power to the National Government
Don't forget about the PEOPLE!!!
10 changes were approved (ammendments ratified)- they guarantee the rights of individuals and limit the powers of government.