Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
You and the School Library
Transcript of You and the School Library
Me: School librarian
supporting everyone who works in school libraries through
- advocacy and partnerships
Online resources: www.sla.org
Supporting Literacy Development and Reading for Pleasure
'traditional' literacies: reading, writing, speaking
Different qualifications (many librarians have postgrad degrees and/or are chartered)
Different knowledge and experience
Different status in school
Different relationship with pupils
But we have the same goal!
- differentiated resources in multiple formats
- reading initiatives
- individual support
- reading help and advice
- generating enthusiasm for literature
- book clubs
- Author/illustrator/storyteller visits
World Book Day
Guess Who's Coming for Dinner
Murder in the Library
Reading schemes and awards
etc etc etc etc etc
- wide range of appropriate curriculum-linked information books
- subscription to online databases
- lessons and materials in research skills, avoiding plagiarism, referencing
- homework clubs
- hands-on help and advice when needed
- providing a calm, inclusive and safe environment
- creating opportunities for pupil involvement (library helpers)
- building trust relationships
NOT through providing an exclusion unit!!
Regular reading lessons
- Discussing books, characters, plots, genres
- Acting out a scene
- Writing another chapter
- Creating a new cover
- Reading aloud
- Exploring other media
- research planning
- information retrieval
- information assessment
- project writing
- creating independent and critical learners
- creating lifelong readers
NOT sitting silently in a corner and pretending to read!
- co-plan and deliver with the librarian
- allows group work, planning, assessment, development, target setting
- document development and report to SLT