Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Chinese Language and Culture
Transcript of Chinese Language and Culture
Chinese New Year Celebration
Why learn Chinese?
My Learning Experiences
What is Chinese
The Moon Festival Celebration
AP Chinese Language and Culture
Meaning: Similar in important aspects, different in minor details.
Da Tong Xiao Yi
Food and Customs
New Year Traditions
Example: 我的看法跟他的看法大同小异, 没有什么根本区别.
Translation: My view and his view are similar, there is no fundamental difference.
*Chinese is one of the oldest languages in the world.
*Almost all the people in China speak this language.
*Early characters were found around 5,000 B.C to 6,000 B.C
* They also used images to create characters.
*There are more than 50,000 Chinese characters
*Each character stands for a word or part of a word
* You can read a newspaper or a novel if you know more than 4,000 characters
How to write Chinese
* The common dialect of Chinese is Northern Chinese or Mandarin Chinese.
*Mandarin Chinese is also called Pu tong hua. (普通hua)
*Pu tong hua is China's official language and it is taught in all the schools.
* To be able to speak Chinese, you would need to know the four tones
1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th tone
* Chinese people uses Pinyin to help them speak Chinese
* The main dialect is Mandarin Chinese
* There's Sichuanese or Si chuan hua. (四川话)
* More than 100 million speak this dialect
Chinese pinyin Alphabet
The Chinese Alphabet Song
* Chinese is a group of related languages that is spoken in the People's Republic of China.
* Met with my teacher once a week.
* Barron's AP Chinese Language and Culture Test Preparation.
* Preparing for the AP Chinese test
* Reading ancient Chinese novels.
* Being able to translate Chinese to English or vise versa
* Chinese art is greatly influenced by the country's rich spiritual and mystical history
* Cuisine is influenced by geography and ethnic diversity
* The largest festival in China is the Spring Festival because it is the beginning of a new year
* China doesn't have an official religion
* Barron's AP Chinese Language and Culture
* "Chinese Culture: Customs & Traditions of China." LiveScience.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 June 2013.
* Knechtges, David R. "Chinese language." World Book Student. World Book, 2013. Web. 3 June 2013.
* Chen, Tung-Ling Li. "Chinese New Year." World Book Student. World Book, 2013. Web. 3 June 2013.
* Most important holiday of all
Called xing lian (新年) or da lian (大年)
Celebration lasts for weeks, but it's changing
Family is important
Clean the house
Decorate the house to chase away the evil spirit
* On New Years day:
people visit relatives, neighbors, and friends
Special foods that symbolizes good fortune for the new year are served
* Red envelopes (Hong包) is given out to children on New Year's Day
* Phrases use when receiving envelopes:
恭喜发财 (Congratulations and Prosperity)
新年快了 (Happy New Year)
岁岁平安 (Always will be safe)
年年有余 (Wishing you prosperity every year)
* Every year a new animal is celebrated. It is called the Chinese zodiac cycles
New Year Food
* Food served to relatives and guests
Cake (蛋糕), Dumplings(饺子)
Fish (鱼), Steam buns (包子)
Glutinous rice balls (汤圆)
* During Celebration:
Greetings & gift are
China is becoming more an international powerful
Chinese is a economic power
Help to get a job
Travel without a translator
To be open-minded to different language, people, and culture
* Apple Iphone
* Apple scan app
* The moon Festival is on the 15th of the 8th lunar month.
* Zhongqiujie is one of the most important traditional events for the Chinese.
* The legendary story they tell on this day is Chang E (嫦娥).
* When the full moon rises, families get together to watch the full moon, eat moon cakes, and sing moon poems
* The Moon Festival also celebrates lovers, especially those that are apart
* Google Images
* The Moon Festival is like Thanksgiving that reunites family members back together to celebrate this holiday
A Chinese news video I had to do with my classmates. My spring semester of 2015. It was for my Chinese final project.
Enjoy, sorry about the language in the blooper scene.
During the summer of 2015, I studied abroad in Beijing, China with Princeton University. I put some pictures together and created a video of the things I saw in China. The video wasn't about the studying abroad program, but it was a series of pictures that showed few of the cities, cuisines, and tourist places in China.
Reunion Dinner 团圆饭
To broaden people's mind