Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Catcher in the Rye Chapter 20
Transcript of The Catcher in the Rye Chapter 20
Characters in the chapter:
Minor: -Valencia (singer)
- Symbolizes Holden's individuality and uniqueness
- His curiosity symbolizes that Holden wants to remain young and innocent
- It is party frozen, and partly not frozen, symbolizing how Holden is caught in between childhood and adulthood
Holden's loneliness and general lack of interest, is what makes him get extremely drunk. His lack of direction in life leads him to walk the streets for hours.
In this chapter, we find Holden getting drunk in the Wicker bar, in a "swanky" hotel called the Seton. He leaves the bar, and drunk dials Sally. After being hung up on, Holden begins walking through Central Park until he arrives at the lagoon that he likes to go to. Here he sits on a bench and thinks about where the ducks are, about his brother Allie, and his own death. Holden's hair is soaking wet so he thinks of how he might get pneumonia and die.
Summary of setting
This chapter takes place in the Wicker Bar, on Madison Avenue, and in Central Park, all in the middle of winter.
: "I guess it was because I was feeling so damn depressed and lonesome"-pg.169
: "I showed her my goddam gray hair and told her I was 42"- pg 169
Stream of Consciousness
- "I started that stupid business with the
bullet in my guts
tree for ya"-pg.167
- "My grandfather from Detroit, that keeps calling out the numbers of the streets when you ride on the goddam bus with him..."-pg.171
Is Holden the phony?
How will his parents react when they see him?
Where will Holden end up by the end of the novel?