Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Anorexia Nervosa
Everyone Wants to be THIN... Aneroxia Nervosa And although you're thin,You're Never Thin Enough... Clara Shin Won Kim Lee Hye Joon Presents... What is Anorexia Nervosa?
• Refusal to maintain healthy body weight
• Intense fear of gaining weight
• Distorted body image
An eating disorder with 3 key features: How do I know that I have Anorexia Nervosa? Anorexic food behavior signs & symptoms: 1) Dieting despite being thin: Following a severely restricted diet (ex. Banning all carbohydrates and fats) 2) Obsession with calories, fat grams, and nutrition: Reading food labels, keeping food diary 3) Pretending to eat or lying about eating: Hiding, playing with or throwing away food to avoid eating. Making excuses to get out of meals (ex. I’m feeling too sick to eat.) 4) Preoccupation with food: Constantly thinking about food, cooking for others, collecting recipes while eating very little. 5) Strange or secretive food rituals: Refusing to eat around others or in public. Eating in ritualistic ways (ex. Chewing food and spitting it out) Anorexic appearance and body image signs & symptoms: 1) Dramatic weight loss w/o medical cause 2) Feeling fat despite being underweight 3) Denial that you’re too thin 4) Harshly critical of appearance: Thinking that you’re never thin enough (Ex. Spending a lot of time in front of mirror.) Obsessed with weight, body shape or clothing size. Purging signs & symptoms: 1) Using diet pills, laxatives, or diuretics for weight loss 2) Throwing up after eating: Frequently disappearing after meals to go to the bathroom. (E.g. run water to disguise vomiting sounds, reappear smelling like mouthwash) 3) Obsessive exercising aiming at burning calories And eventually getting afraid of eating and food... What is so bad about Anorexia Nervosa? Losing a bit of weight wouldn't hurt... Short-term Health Consequences: • Abuse of alcohol & drugs
• Brittle nails
• Abdominal pain • Growth of langua (fur-like substance covering body) storing lost heat
• Dry dull hair & hair loss
• Weak muscles • Low potassium
• Low heart rate & blood pressure
• Dehydration • Feels faint, or light headed
• Large weight loss over a short period of time You think you can handle it? How about now... • Damage of brain
• Bad memory • Anemia
• Kidney failure
• Yellow skin Long term Health Consequences • Depression & anxiety
• Stomach, bowels, kidneys and/or heart problems
• Death from lack of nutrients Unusual Facts: * Anorexics personify their disorder, calling 'her' 'Ana' in public without sounding suspicioius. * Some anorexics wear a red bracelet to help other anorexics identify them * Most chose to keep an "Ana Journal" where they include thinspo (thin + inspiration), pictures of very thin models, pro-ana (pro-anorexia) tips, records of weight, pro-ana poetry, et cetera. * 1 out of 100 teenage girls are anorexic Are you going to risk your life to be thin? Everyone Wants to be Perfect...
Everyone Wants to be THIN... Works Cited
Andrew, Ray. "Effects Of Anorexia Nervosa." Tips for Moms. Web. 06 Feb. 2011. .
"Anorexia Nervosa: Signs, Symptoms, Causes, And Treatment." Helpguide.org: Expert, Ad-free Articles Help Empower You with Knowledge, Support & Hope. Web. 06 Feb. 2011. .
Athreya, Balu H. Decisions for Health :. Austin, TX: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 2004. Print.
"Interesting Facts about Anorexia? - Yahoo! Answers." Yahoo! Answers - Home. Web. 06 Feb. 2011. .
"Long Term Effects of Anorexia." Epigee Pregnancy Resource. Web. 06 Feb. 2011. .
"YouTube - Anorexia/Depression - See Me Cloud Girl TV Ad." YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. Web. 06 Feb. 2011. .
"YouTube - Ballet Anorexia Nervosa.mov." YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. Web. 06 Feb. 2011. .
"YouTube - Scared of an Eggplant (wtf!!!!)." YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. Web. 06 Feb. 2011. . Just in Case...IT'S A GUY