Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Kahoot!
Kahoot is a game-based website in which
teachers AND students can create their own quizzes, discussions, and surveys based on any topic they want. Kahoot uses personal devices such as smartphones, tablets, or computers in order for students to learn in an interactive gaming format.
Why is Kahoot important to use with English learners?
Kahoot is important to use with English language learners because it allows English learners to apply the increasing technology usage standards with that of the standards required for English language learning.
Students are able to use and implement real-world technology in concordance with their knowledge and learning of the English language.
Kahoot allows ELLs to express their own knowledge and understanding through their personal responses to Kahoot games and quizzes, and allows them to interpret and recall their knowledge of the English language in creating their own Kahoot quizzes, discussions, and surveys
How does Kahoot help ELLs develop language skills?
When working in groups, students are able to communicate and collaborate with one another using the target language (English).
When making their own Kahoot games, students are able to recall and implement their knowledge of English using technology.
When creating a Kahoot quiz or discussion students are given a sense of empowerment because they are briefly the ones directing the class and directing instruction and learning.
-It's a free program!
-It keeps students engaged in their learning
-Students are able to collaborate with one another
-It allows for anonymity with students so they cannot tell who is answering wrong and correctly
-A great tool to use for reviewing material
-Students get a sense of empowerment in creating their own quizzes, discussion questions, or surveys
1. Students need to be able to access their prior knowledge about technology and the material.
2. Students will need to have their own e-mail address to be able to create the quizzes, discussion questions, and surveys using Kahoot.
3. Students who have not previously had access to the technology will need to be paired with students who have, to work together.
4. Students at different levels of English learning should be paired together in groups so that all groups are at an equal learning level.
5. The teacher will have to show students how to login to Kahoot.it using the game pin with technology devices to play teacher-created games.
6. The teacher will have to model for the students how to use Kahoot to create quizzes, discussions, and surveys, and will have to scaffold them in creating their own.
Rationale & Theory
-According to a 2013 study by researchers E. Afari, J. Aldridge, B. Fraser, & M. Khine; research indicates that games (and therefore, game-based learning) have the potential to draw students into the learning process and to encourage them to participate through a more interactive environment.
-Additionally, in a different research study in June of 2014 regarding foreign language learning, researchers found that a Game Based Learning approach to foreign language provides more effective learning compared to traditional methods, develops positive attitudes in students and increases the retention process” (Dourda, Bratitsis, Griva & Papadopoulou, 2014).
-Finally, in a 2012 study researchers found that using 2-D and 3-D visualization allowed for students to create meaning, interpret, and express their learning.
(Gwo-Dong Chen, Chi-Kuo Chuang, Nurkhamid, & Tzu-Chien Liu, 2012
Overall, We feel that the use of Kahoot! in a game-based learning atmosphere is highly beneficial for
English language learners to use.
1. Creativity and Innovation: students demonstrate creative thinking, construct knowledge, and develop innovative products and process using technology.
A. Apply existing knowledge to generate new ideas, products, or processes
2. Communication and Collaboration
A. Interact, collaborate, and publish with peers, experts, or others employing a variety of digital environments and media
5. Digital Citizenship
B. Exhibit a positive attitude toward using technology that supports collaboration, learning, and productivity
6. Technology Operations and Concepts: Students demonstrate a sound understanding of technology concepts, systems, and operations
B. Select and use applications effectively and productively
For Grade 5, Level 3
1. Construct meaning from oral presentations & literary & informational text through grade-appropriate reading, listening, and writing.
2. Participate in grade-appropriate in oral & written exchanges of information, ideas, & analyses, responding to peer, audience, or reader comments & questions.
4. Construct grade-appropriate oral & written claims & support them with reasoning & evidence.
7. Adapt language choices to purpose, task, & audience when speaking & writing.
8. Determine the meaning of words & phrases in oral presentations & literary & informational text.
9. Create clear & coherent grade-appropriate speech & text.
10. Make accurate use of English to communicate in grade-appropriate speech & writing.
-Requires the use of technology such as smartphones and computers
-technology is not always reliable
-students need to have at least a 3rd-4th grade maturity level to be able to make up their own quizzes
-an e-mail is required to sign up
- The teacher needs a screen and projector
- The quizzes have a limited amount of characters for each answer
How to make a Kahoot!
Let's try it!!