Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
PREPARATION OF ACETANILIDE
Transcript of PREPARATION OF ACETANILIDE
To improve the accuracy of the results and to obtain the best outputs such as:
-All used devices work properly.
- Read all steps and understand them before you start the experment .
-Leave the sample to dry completely.
- Add some drops of distilled water over the filtration paper.
- Remove the filtration paper carefuly .
- Inform your instructor immediately about any damages.
- Always sticking to the safety rules .
The aim of this experiment was achieved by producing pure acetanilide
Pure acetanilide has a white color
Crude acetanilide has beige color
The reaction type was an exothermic reaction
Melting point considered a good indication of the purity
In first week :
Step 1: Preparation of Acetanilide
In secound week :
Step 2: Purification of Acetenilide
% Recovery: 73.82
% Yield: 49.83
Type of acetanilide
Student Name ID Number
Sarah Khameis Hefaity 201104162
Reem Ali Al Mehrezi 201102389
Aysha Mohammed Alahbabi 201003747
Amira Mubarak Al Braiki 201113672
Sara Helal Al Ketbi 201115824
Sample Calculations (cont..)
- For Aniline (C6H7N)
Molecular weight =93 g/mol
Density = 1.022 g/ml
Amount of sample = 5 ml
Aniline is the limiting reaction
-For Acetic anhydride (C4H6O3)
Molecular weight =102 g/mol
Density = 1.0829 g/ml
Amount of sample = 13 ml
Recovery percentage .
1- Prepare an amide (acetanilide) by the reaction of a primary aromatic amine (aniline) with an acid anhydride (acetic anhydride)
2- Separate and purify acetanilide from a mixture by recrystallization
3- Purity check of the acetanilide by measuring the melting point
4- Calculation of the percentage yield and recovery
Members of a group of chemical compounds containing nitrogen
derivative of a carboxylic acid with the hydroxyl group replaced by amine or ammonia
reaction of aniline with acetic anhydride
pure crystals: plate shaped and colorless to white
crystallization & recrystallization
solid-liquid separation and purification technique
mass transfer from liquid solution to pure solid crystalline phase
Properties of Acetanilide
Percentage error between 5.5%- 2.8%
Results and Discussions
Releases in heat from the beaker.
- mass of the crude acetanilide (5.012 g) was less than the theoretical yield (7.425 g)
The mass of the pure acetanilide=(3.7 g) which was less than the crude acetanilide due to the rejection of the impurities.
%Error= (Theoretical-Experimental/Theoretical) ×100
Standard Pure Acetanilide Melting Point =114.3℃
Experimental Pure Acetanilide Melting Point = 108-111 ℃
%Error between 5.5%- 2.8%
The yield percentage = 49.83% indicated a divergence of 49.83% .
1-Loss in the amount of the substance 2- Hot water
-The melting point for the crude acetanilide: (108-111%)
( High rang )
The melting point for the pure acetanilide :115 ℃
Any Questions ?
Thank you for your time .