Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Cold War
- Communism was not spread fara and people were able to have their own preperties and not be controlled by the government. *Truman Docterine-Truman declare it to be the foreign policy of the United States to assist any country whose stability was threatened by communism.
- This lead for us to immediatly give money to 400 million to Turkey and Greece which damages our economy and make potential enemies that we didn't have before. Ronald Regan Gorbachev *38th Parallel- The dividing line in Korea, that seperate North Korean from South Korea.
*This line is significant because it divides when communist North Korean forces crossed the 38th parallel into democratic South Korea. The 38th parallel, as the pre-war boundary between the countries, became the focal point for negotiations of a cease fire.There has been no peace treaty, only a cease fire. The 38th parallel continues to be the most highly defended border in the world across the 3 mile wide demilitarized zone. terms & descriptions *Sending Home The Troops
-Soiders were able to go home
to their families after being
war for so long. *Booming Economy
-Because the government cut military spending because we were out of the war,automobile industries started to grow. This time also started a baby boom which also helped the economy, that lead more individuals to join the middle class. terms & descriptions *Marshall Plan-
Truman's Secretary of State, George C. Marshall, offered American financial aid for a program of European economic recovery.
- We spent about $12,500,000,000 in the three year existanc. This plan was important to the time of war because it showed that we were willing to help with the danages of war, even to the oviet Unioon being a commmunist country if they were wiling to let us help. *Domino Theory- The Domino Theory held that if one country fell under communist influence or control, its neighboring countries would soon follow.
-This was important because it showed that there was a risk to countries spreading their ways to communism, and this was something that the United States didn't want. *Detente: Cooling of the Cold War.
Richard Nixon was President during this time.
-This was important becuase this was a movement for the United States to make the effort to smooth over realtions with Communist China because it was the first time a president went and visited a Communist country. terms & descriptions Warsaw Pact:
The Warsaw Pact has served as one of the Soviet Union's primary mechanisms for keeping its East European allies under its political and military control. terms & descriptions *Seoul-North Korean entered through here and South Korea couldn't fight them off.
-South Korean had the upper hand, but the turning point was here when the North Koreans started to puosh us back and conquor the parts of South Korea, gaining ore and more land. *Inchon-US navy landed here and helped South Korean.
-This was a high point to South Korea because we landed on this little spot on the beach and were able to push the North Koreans back into thier side of the 38th parallel. *Agent Orange-An herbicide containing trace amounts of the toxic contaminant dioxin that was used in the Vietnam War to defoliate areas of forest.
-The effects of this eposure to Agent Orange were an elevated rate of diseases and disorders in people exposed to dioxin. These include high rates of cancers, abnormalities during pregnancies, neurological and metabolic disorders, and especially birth defects. One very astonishing birth defect was kids that were born without eyes due to the chicals their mothers had when they were preganant with them. Vietnamization:The US policy of withdrawing its troops and transferring the responsibility and direction of the war effort to the government of South Vietnam.
-This was important ecause it shows that the US was willing to help the democrtic Vietnam not become communist. terms & descriptions *Napalm is a thickening agent generally mixed with gasoline or a similar fuel for use in military warfare operations.
-A common side effect was a burning sensation, this was one of many chemicals used in the war that effects people in horrible ways. *After the disbanding of the OSS at World War II's end, there was no concentration of information available to help the President. To better protect the United States, we needed a better way to collect intelligence. An agency that would be independent of any policy making branch, with no ties to any other part of government. One that would gather intelligence and advise the President and other policy makers about what was happening around the world.
-The forming of the CIA helped the Us in many ways, as well as the President because it gave us the power to know important information that we would not originally be able to obtain because of lack of secretness. *Fall of Berlin Wall; Germany united-A guarded wall built between East and West Berlin in 1961 by the communist authorities. It was opened in November 1989 after the collapse of the communist regime in East Germany and subsequently was dismantled.
-Some successful attempts were simple, like throwing a rope over the Wall and climbing up. Others were brash like ramming a truck or bus into the Wall and making a run for it. Still others were suicidal, like jumping from the not-yet-boarded-up, upper-story windows of apartment buildings that bordered the Wall. Ho Chi Minh Richard Nixon Kim Il Sung Syngman Rhee Douglas McArthur John Kennedy Dwight Eisenhower Joseph Stalin Harry Truman Marshall United Nationos Soliders John Lennon protesters