Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Barcelona - Poppy, Annie & Alez
Transcript of Barcelona - Poppy, Annie & Alez
port vell a once industrial port had now beCOME A TOURIST ATTRACTION.
THE REGENERATION OF THE PORT MEANT THAT TOURISM AND INDUSTRY FLOURISHED. BOOSTING BARCELONA'S ECONOMY AND STATUS.
THE NEW REGENERATED PORT WAS MODERN.
TRANSITIONED FROM AN OLD ABANDONED HARBOUR SIDE TO A MODERN WATERSIDE CITY.
A CAUSE OF THE DECLINE OF BARCELONA WAS THAT THE PORT COULDN'T COMPETE WITH OTHER MEDITERREAN PORTS, NOW THE BIGGER AND IMPROVED PORT COULD BRINGING THE EXPORTING BUSINESS BACK
THE ONCE CRIME RIDDEN PORT AREA WAS NOW RESPECTABLE DUE TO INCREASE IN EMPLOYMENT AND DECREASE IN POVERTY.
TOURISM BASED BUSINESSES AND SERVICES
BETTER URBAN FABRIC Harbourside redevelopment at Port Vell and the new Port by Alez I think that it has been successful due to
- industry has been increases and encouraged
- the economy has boosted due to the increased amount of tourism
- the city has majorly changed, particularly visually
-deindustrialisation is no longer an issue
- Poverty is no longer an issue
- Crime has reduced
- Employment has increased
- They had included and work with the cities history and heritage How successful WE ALL think regeneration has been in Barcelona! Retain historical buildings Our top 10 TIPs for SUCCESSFUL regeneration by Poppy &+ Alez Art, Gaudí +& Culture by Poppy As part of the regeneration of Barcelona for the olympics, the city council acquired a sizeable collection of sculptures from local and international artists to improve the look of the city without making any major structural changes. A piece of art can be seen on almost every square, park and boulevard to encourage pride in the urban fabric and public spaces. Gaudí's art has had a big impact on the regeneration of Barcelona. Built in 1900 - 1914, Park Güell is one of the largest architectural works in Europe. Gaudí incorporated motifs of Catalan nationalism, religious mysticism and ancient poetry in the park. The Sagrada Família, started in 1882, is projected to be completed in 2026. Money from tickets bought by tourists and private donations pay for the continued construction. Casa Museu Gaudí, where Gaudí lived for 20 years, draws tourists interested in looking at a collection of furniture and objects designed by Gaudí as well as paintings, sculptures and drawings by his many partners. Pedestrians take priority in La Rambla, a 1.2km tree lined boulevard, pushing traffic to the edges. Shops, cafés and market stalls line the pedestrianised area. Street artists are drawn to the mass of tourists that arrive throughout most of the year. Along the street, there is an opera house, Mercat de la Boqueria (the city's most iconic street market) and a museum of contemporary art. Put pedestrians first Improve the urban fabric through use of art Play to strengths (USP) Redevelop derelict buildings Zoning of land use - keep tourists away from industrial areas Provide facilities for tourists Provide good public transport Museums and art exhibitions Keep public areas looking nice - sweep up fallen leaves, litter etc (Feel free to change any, Alex) "The games were the excuse, perhaps the incentive, for a general process of analysis of the city in general and in particular of its role as a tourist centre." NUMBER OF HOTELS
1990 = 118
1992 = 148
Boom of tourism during and after olympics was expected. - Ring roads were introduced which meant less traffic
- new hotels builts and old ones renovated
- Airport expanded Using the media!
created a new, modern Barcelona during the olympics Historic buildings in Gothic Quarter were restored. Redevelopment wasn't just for the olympics but to transform future business/tourism What is in the Olympic Village? How successful has the regeneration of Montjuic & The Olympic Village been? http://geographyfieldwork.com/OlympicVillage.htm Different sections of the new port
Read Matty's section on other prezi