Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Chemistry of Cosmetics
Transcript of The Chemistry of Cosmetics
Cosmetics What is Cosmetics? Any of several preparations (excluding soap) applied to the human body for beautifying, preserving, or altering the appearance or for cleansing, colouring, conditioning, or protecting the skin, hair, nails, lips, eyes, or teeth. The Ingredients of Cosmetics Coloring Agents
Bases (Oily or waxy mixture)
Additives Coloring Agents Coal Tar Chromium Oxide Aluminum powder Manganese Iron Oxide Mica Flakes Bases What is the function of waxy? Bases in lipstick and mascara Lipstick
--> insoluble mixture of waxes and castor bean oil
--> esters (reactions between alcohol and acids)
--> paraffin and carnauba palm wax Bulking Agents Face Powder
Eye Shadow Additives Fragrances
Preservatives What is the function
of fragrances? What is the function
of preservatives? Why are cosmetics NOT so good for you? 1. Coal tar --> suspected cancer
2. Oils and waxy can create acne
3. Inhaling too much talc can create lung problems and other
4. Fragrances and preservatives also the sources of allergics and...
Why girls should wear cosmetics? Cosmetics make you feel prettier
and more confident, right? 1. The ingredients of cosmetics
2. Are cosmetics good or bad for you? Cosmetic can create acne
on skin or allergic reactions Be a smart cosmetic user! References:
"The Chemistry of Cosmetics" 25 August 2009. HowStuffWorks.com. <http://science.howstuffworks.com/the-chemistry-of-cosmetics-info.htm> 30 November 2012.
"Cosmetics Chemistry" ChemistryExplained.com.<http://www.chemistryexplained.com/Co-Di/Cosmetic-Chemistry.html> 30 November 2012.
Phillips, John S., Victor S. Strozak, Cheryl Wistrom. Chemistry: Concepts and Application. Ohio: Glencoe/McGraw-Hill, 2000. Print A little bit of history 3000 B.C.E in ancient Egypt
They were using red ochre, or iron oxide
Fruit Acids have the ability to penetrate the skin
Sunscreens are a class of compounds that protect the skin from ultraviolet radiation