Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Elijah McCoy
Elijah McCoy had a interest in mechanics at a young age. Elijah parents arranged a flight to Scotland at age 15 where he can get an apprenticeship in mechanical engineering. When Elijah returned home to Michigan after becoming a certified as a mechanical engineer.
Elijah invented an automatic lubricator for oiling the steam engines of locomotives and ships,Improvement in Lubricators for steam- Engines.
Childhood And Personal Life
Elijah McCoy was born on May 2,1844 in Canada,Colchester,Ontario. Born to former slaves had moved from Canada to Kentucky the underground railroad.Elijah father, George McCoy had owned 160 acres of land for his service. This was a good thing because Elijah McCoy had 11 brothers and sisters.When Elijah was 3 years old, his family had moved to Michigan, Detroit.
"The Real McCoy"
1. 1974, the state of Michigan put an historical marker at the McCoys' former home at 5720 Lincoln Avenue and at his gravesite.
2. 1975, Detroit celebrated Elijah McCoy Day, and officials placed a historic marker at the site of his home. The city also named a nearby street for him.
3. 1994, Michigan installed a historical marker at his first workshop in Ypsilanti, Michigan.
4. 2001, McCoy was inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in Akron, Ohio.
5. Senator Debbie Stabenow offered an amendment to the Patent Reform Act of 2011 to name the first satellite office of the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, which opened in Detroit, Michigan, on July 13, 2012, as the "Elijah J. McCoy United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Similar automatic oilers had been patented previously one is the displacement lubricator, which had already attained widespread use and whose technological descendants continued to be widely used into the 20th century. Lubricators were a boon for railroads, as they enabled trains to run faster and more profitably with less need to stop for lubrication and maintenance.
There was a popular expression called "The real McCoy" it was known to be published in Canada in 1881, however the linguistically similar to "The Real McKay" can be traced to Scottish advertising in 1856. In James S. Bond's The Rise and Fall of the "Union club" or, Boy life in Canada, a character says, "By jingo! yes so it will be. It's the 'real McCoy,' as Jim Hicks says. Nobody but a devil can find us there.
One word to describe Elijah McCoy is outstanding because he mostly work hard when he was little to get where he was before he died.
By: Dante Rodriguez & Kariah Wester