Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Social Pedagogies - THE Conference, Qatar
Transcript of Social Pedagogies - THE Conference, Qatar
@derekbruff / #THE2013 Social Pedagogies: "Design approaches for teaching and learning that engage students with what we might call an 'authentic audience' (other than the teacher), where the representation of knowledge for an audience is absolutely central to the construction of knowledge in a course."
Randy Bass & Heidi Elmendorf, http://is.gd/08EYYH "My Angel braving the deep...", Raymond, Flickr (CC) "Wall of Peace," Jeff Bauche, Flickr (CC) "I'll Give You All I Can," Brandon Warren, Flickr (CC) "The Calm after the Show," Thomas Hawk, Flickr (CC) "Ghost Writer," Derek Bruff, Flickr (CC) Deep Learning Desire to Connect Desire to Share Authentic Audiences Course Blogs Social Networks Social Bookmarking Backchannels Collaborative Documents Caitlyn Durning's Story: http://is.gd/f3A5ko Derek's Course Blog: http://derekbruff.org/blogs/fywscrypto/ Low-Tech Options Steve Baskauf's Story: http://is.gd/wHuxvo Poster Sessions Annotated Bibliographies Michael Wesch's Story: http://is.gd/IyrU5W Fictional Personas FERPA See "Taking Steps to Respect Student Privacy in Public Work," by Chris Clark: http://is.gd/EvTSvs Reacting to the Past The Pluto Debate, by Tony Crider
http://is.gd/EDLdPo "Neil deGrasse Tyson 10," John Roling, Flickr (CC) "To win, you must also complete your secret objective: Have the IAU vote in favor of Resolution 6B." Neil deGrasse Tyson Margaret Rubega's Story: http://is.gd/KbKhFO #birdclass Mark Sample's Story: http://is.gd/0s55se #ENGH451 Timelines Jason Jones' assignment: http://is.gd/fLB1CS "Interesting Pin," Derek Bruff, Flickr (CC) Derek's Diigo Group: http://groups.diigo.com/group/math-216 Diigo Pinterest More Statistics Pins: http://twitter.com/math216pins "Questions from the Audience," Derek Bruff, Flickr (CC) Photo Sharing David Silver's Story: http://is.gd/6gT5UW "Macro," Derek Bruff, Flickr (CC) And there's more... Social Motivations Benkler & Nissenbaum (2006), http://is.gd/B9tYx9 "Thin Slices" of Student Learning Randy Bass, http://is.gd/lPz4Jq A Few Principles "How can we better understand these intermediate processes? How might we design to foster and capture them?" More on Diigo vs. Pinterest: http://derekbruff.org/?p=2201 Vanderbilt's Blog of Blogs: https://my.vanderbilt.edu/courseblogs/ Conversations Humberto Garcia's blog: http://is.gd/jFyCgz How many of these social networks do you visit at least weekly? How many of these social networks do you contribute to at least weekly? 1.
6. None Have you ever written a post for a blog--your own or someone else's?
2. No Crypto Posts on Wonders & Marvels: http://is.gd/vLKIf1 What was the most common reason students in Derek's class chose Diigo over Pinterest?
1. Pinterest was too feminine.
2. Diigo seemed more academic.
3. Diigo seemed easier to use.
4. Pinterest accounts took too long to create. Which of the following concerns about using Twitter worries you most?
1. It's too public.
2. 140 characters is too limiting.
3. I just don't get how to use it.
4. The Creepy Treehouse
5. Something else Which of these social pedagogies would you like to try in your teaching? 1. 2. 3. 4. Bryan Gibbon's Course Blog: http://is.gd/G1WfTQ Alberto Perez's io9 post: http://is.gd/UaxUMq Reflective Writing