Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Color Chromatography
2. Use the pencil to draw a line 1/2" from the edge of one side of the paper. 3. Then make 6 pencil dots along this line, about 1/4" (0.5 cm) apart. Write the name of the color of the candy that you will test under each dot. i.e. blue, green, red, brown, purple, yellow. 4. Use the pipette to drop 6 drops of water on a plate. Now put one candy of each color on the drops. Wait about a minute for the color to come off into the water. 5. After one minute pick up the candy again. 6. Dip a toothpick into a color and dab the color onto the pencil dot for that color on your coffee filter paper. Use a clean toothpick for each color. Try to keep each dot as small as possible. 7. Wait until the filter paper is dry. Then add more color to each dot. Do this a total of three times. This will ensure that you have enough pigments in each sample. 8. Wait until the paper is dry. Then fold it in half with the color sample dots on the bottom. 9. Now prepare the salt solution by mixing 1/8 teaspoon of salt and three cups of water in a clean pitcher. Stir the solution until the salt is dissolved. Now you got a 1% salt solution. 10. Pour the salt solution into a clean tall glass so that the liquid level is 1/4". The water level needs to be below the sample dots. You can check this by holding the paper up against the outside of the glass. 11. Once the level is correct, stand the filter paper inside the glass. The side with the dots should be down and the edge of the paper wetted by the salt solution. Capillary action draws the salt solution up the paper. As it passes through the dots, it begins to separate the dyes. There were some candy colors contain more than one dye. The dyes separate because some dyes are more likely to stick to the paper, while other dyes have a higher affinity for the salt water. Observations In my drawing it shows the dyes that are found in each skittle. Discussions and Conclusions No, it was not since I believed the green skittle had the most blue dye. But it seems that the blue skittle proved to have more. How affect our bodies. DYES To much comsuping of green dyes causes the person to have dark green stool. BLUE is said to have more of a chance of making a person have dark green stool. However... It is said that red dyes cause kids to become hyper. A cilent of Derba Hanlon conacted her to tell her that the teacher of her eight year old son believed that he had AD/HD. After looking at a list symptons, they saw that he didn't any. He was just figdy, unfocused and overly active at times. Hanlon suggested they'd cut down on the junk food as well as the dyes mainly red dye #40 since it has an impact on a childs brain. After about 3 days, the client called to tell the large difference in her childs behaviour. Dyes also effect our enviroment because many compainies or factories throw out the dyes without treating them right. These dyes are either thrown into bodies of water or on open lands. They effect the population of the biosystem or indirectly effect the environment making it unsuitable for living. Earthworms While in there natural place of living, they are at risk of being exposed to these dyes. This is due to the dyes being discharded on to the land and also the contaminated water which is used on the argiculture. When a mixture is divided up into smaller quantities (fractions). ART My negative control is the salt solution. This helps my lab by allowing there to be a fair testof my hypothesis that the green skittle has more blue dye. This is showen by how far the colors ran on the filter paper after being placed into the salt solution. My results show that the blue skittle has the most blue dye in it. Because of this my hypothesis that the green skittle had the most blue dye was incorrect. References http://www.squidoo.com/DieDye
- Skittles or M&M candies
- coffee filter
- tall glass
- table salt
- measuring cups