Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Grand Solutions and Modest Solutions to the Orphan Works Problem
Transcript of Grand Solutions and Modest Solutions to the Orphan Works Problem
Why We should Reject Grand Solutions
and Prefer Modest Ones Ariel Katz
Faculty of Law
University of Toronto 3 Basic Principles 1st Principle: Copyright law is based on a market logic Grant property right
Exchanged in a decentralized market
To optimize incentives to create works
2nd Principle: a market depends crucially on the ability of users and owners to locate each other and negotiate their deals.
If transaction costs are too high, the market will fail. 3rd Principle: Generally, "permission-first" is the optimal rule. Generally, but not always.