Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Europe between WWI and WWII
Transcript of Europe between WWI and WWII
Rise of Totalitarian Dictators
7 reasons why they came to power:
1. unstable conditions in the country
2. use of strong ideologies and symbols for mass appeal.
3. strong desire to affect change and bring about betterment- very nationalistic.
4. used scapegoats to blame for problems.
5. started out legal, but soon corrupted the system.
6. very charismatic.
7. use of force and military mights to gain and maintain power.
strong and powerful nationalist and racist who joined
National Socialist Worker's Party (Nazi)
1923- attempted the
Beer Hall Putsch
which he was arrested and put in jail. It was in jail that he wrote
criticized: Versailles Treaty, Jews, War Profiteers, Weimer Republic
1933- elected Chancellor
stopped paying reparations to Great Britain and France.
massive works program to give jobs
withdrew from League of Nations
Nuremberg Laws- denied German Jews of citizenship
, "night of broken glass"- over 815 shops were destroyed and over 20,000 Jews arrested.
Results of Treaty of Versailles
Wiemar Republic in Germany failed to rebuild Germany or have the confidence of the German people
Weak League of Nations
no international army
could only impose economic sanctions
Lost Generation of Poets and Artists
Combination of overproduction of agricultural productions with collapse of American stock market.
Caused an increase in government participation in economy and rise of totalitarian government.
strong nationalist who felt Italy was denied territory and status it deserved after WWI. Dreamed for Italy to become a world power like Ancient Rome.
- authoritarian form of government that places the good of the nation above all else, including individual rights and needs.
March on Rome
- became Dictator-
used destruction and violence to attack political enemies.
arrested enemies and destroyed all political parties. Became a one party dictatorship.
(1939) to grow empire.
Rome- Berlin Axis
- offensive and defensive alliance (Pact of Steel).
to maintain power.
Communist dictator after Lenin
- forced all peasants into one large collective farm to work together. All middle class
(better off peasants) were killed.
5 Year Plan
- extreme industrialization, investment in heavy industry. Production doubled and tripled.
-attacked or imprisoned political enemies. Over 8 million people were killed or sent off to the