Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
DO PLANTS GROW BETTER UNDER NATURAL SUNLIGHT VS. ARTIFICIAL
Transcript of DO PLANTS GROW BETTER UNDER NATURAL SUNLIGHT VS. ARTIFICIAL
The purpose of this project is to show whether plants grow better in natural light or artificial light.
Plants repsonse to the light spectrum under which plants are grown affect their developmental characteristics in complicated manner.Lamps widely used to provide growth irradiance emit spectra which are very different from natural daylight spectra.
DIrect sunlight will grow the straightneck squash seeds better and at a faster rate than the artificial lighting ( incandescent / spot grow bulb ).
12 small pots
36 Straightneck Squash Seeds
Spot grow bulb
Incandescent bulb (regular light bulb )
2 shop lamp fixtures
Natural sunlight (direct)
1. Obtain 12 small pots and fill pots to the top leaving about a half of a inch off the top of pot.
2. Place the soil into the pots, and add water to soil.
3. Once the soil has been watered, make 3 holes into each pot using your index finger.
4. Place seed into each hole.
5. Cover each hole with the soil.
6. Place a plant stand in a isolated room with only control lighting.
7. Clamp lamps onto the plant stand ( 1- for incandescent bulb )(1- for spot grow bulb )
8. Place 3 pots under the incandescent lighting and 3 pots under the spot grow bulb.
Amount of water given to the plants ( Water plants - Monday,Wednesday, Saturday )
Amount of light on plant growth
Growth of plants (plant height)
Is growing the plant without exposure to any source of light.
How does the artificial lighting produce enough heat to grow plants ?
I found an article on oxfordjournals.org that stated artificial solar spectrum substantially alters plant development compared to natural sunlight. A plant can only have 12 hours of sunlight or less, so i set a timer that allow the plants growing under the artificial lighting to obtain the same amount of lighting that the plants under the natural lighting receive.
3 Straighneck Squash Seeds
Up to 4-6oz of water for each plant on Mon., Wednes. and Saturday
No exposure to natural or artificial lighting
9 Straighneck Squash Seeds
Up to 4 -6oz of water for each plant on Mon, Wednes. and Saturday
Spot grow bulb and Incandescent bulb, Natural Light ( Sunlight )
9. Place the 3 pots under the natrual light (direct sunlight ).
10. Place the last 3 pots (which is the control ) in a isolated area without any source of light.
After about 4 weeks of growing the straightneck squash seeds. The seeds that were placed in the direct sunlight did not germinate as I predicted. the seeds in the direct sunlight didnt start to germinate until about the 2nd and 3rd week and grew over 7 inches. the seeds that was planted in the artificial light grew at a faster pace then the plants in the direct sunlight. They grew in the direction of the light. These plants started to germinate within the first week of being planted, and they also grew over 12 inches over a period of time.
SPOT GROW BULB
My research concluded that my hypothesis was wrong. I hypothesized that the straight neck squash that was growing in the natural sunlight would grow at a faster rate than the artificial lighting. I notice while doing the research that the plants that was growing under artificial lighting grew in the direction of the light. So in conclusion artificial lighting grow plants just as well as natural lighting.