Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Agricultural Revolution & Textile Industry
Transcript of Agricultural Revolution & Textile Industry
What was the agricultural revolution?
The agricultural revolution was when a huge time of agricultural development was introduced during the 18th and 19th century. There was a huge and fast increase in agricultural productivity and farming technology, some inventions which we still use today.
New Inventions that were introduced during the Agricultural Revolution:
Plow and Moldboard:
The plow, created by John Deere, was a very beneficial invention during the agricultural revolution. The plow is a tool for farming which consisted of two or more small blades that creates a small ditch in the soil, where the farmer would plant the seeds in.
The Moldboard is a curved iron plate attached to the plow which turns and lifts the soil. This prepares the dirt before it is sowed or any seeds are planted into the soil.
Percentage of Farmers before the Agricultural Revolution.
About 80% of the world's population of people before the Agricultural Revolution were associated with the farming industry. The 80% were trying to prevent itself and the other 20% of the worlds population from starving.
Percentage of farmers after the Agricultural Revolution
Today, less than 1% of the population in the U.S list their occupation as farming. This is because of the Industrial Revolution, that the percentage of farmers have ''died out''
More new inventions that were introduced during the Agricultural Revolution...
Created by Jethro Tull, it may be one of the most famous inventions that was introduced during the Agricultural Revolution. The seed drill was a wheeled device which was pulled by a horse and contained a box of seeds at the back. The seed drill allowed farmers to plant their seeds evenly and more efficiently.
What was the Textile Revolution?
While farmers were developing new and better methods of agriculture, life in other areas of work began to change drastically as well. Before the 18th century, cloth was manufactured by individual workers. During the Textile Revolution, wool, silk, and other fabrics became shadowed in importance by cotton. New machinery was invented during the Textile revolution that allowed more textiles to be introduced and processed.
New Inventions that were introduced during the textile Revolution:
The Spinning Jenny created by James Hargreaves, is a multi-spindle spinning device which reduced the workload of creating yarn and cotton. The Spinning Jenny made it possible to weave more than one ball of yarn or thread. A single worker was able to use eight or more spools at once.
More new inventions that were introduced during the textile revolution...
Created by Richard Arkwright, the original models of the Water Frame were waterwheels, which is where it got its name. Its purpose was to produce stronger threads for yarn. The first machine that could spin cotton threads, was the Water Frame.
Important facts to remember about the Textile Revolution:
The textile production employed more people and brought in more profit than any other manufactured product
The textile industry was second in economical importance, the first being agriculture.
Before the revolution, the manufacture of cloth was done on the premises of where the workers lived
After the revolution, it gave opportunities for workers to leave the house and all be together
Once the workers were taught how to use the technology, the production time decreased
How did the Industrial Revolution affect the Textile Industry?
Many people lost their jobs because now their jobs were being performed by machinery instead of people
But the machines still needed to be taken after and controlled, so manning the machines became an easy job, yet very dangerous.
This caused most people to move to the city were new jobs were available.
THANK YOU FOR
1. What is the population of how many people list their occupation today as farmers?
3. Name 2 inventions that were introduced during the agricultural revolution?
2. What percentage of the world's population were associated with farming before the Industrial Revolution?
1) less than 1%
3) Plow and moldboard, Seed drill