Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Chemical Make-up
Brief History of Fructose
• Fructose was first discovered in 1847 by French chemist Augustin-Pierre Dubrunfaut.
• Fructose was first used in high fructose corn syrup in 1977.It came at a time when the price of importing sugar was rising greatly.
• That cheap yet sweet alternative was high fructose corn syrup, or fructose. Fructose soon moved to replace imported sugar in almost every food, snack, and drink.
1. Soda-Fructose. Retrieved March 1, 2012
2. Parker, Kay, Michelle Salas, and Veronica C. Nwosu. “High fructose corn syrup: Production, uses, and public health concerns.” Biotechnology and Molecular Biology Review 5.5 (2010): Page72. Print.
Fructose is a 6-carbon polyhydroxyketone. It is an isomer of glucose; i.e., both have the same molecular formula
Why the sweetener is considered a viable alternative to white sugar ?
Health effects associated with sweetener
Low Glycemic Index/Insulin Release
90%fructose+ 10% glucose = HFCS-90（High-fructose corn syrup)
canned foods and processed food
Directly obsorded by intestine
Digestion: unsorbed fructose may be caiiredinto large intestine, providing nutrients for gut flora
Metabolism: insulin resistance, obesity, elevated LDL cholesterol and triglycerides
As a redusing sugar: skin and bone damage in rats, negative effect on aging problem
Liver fuction: increase appetite and lead to weight gain
may contribute to: non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
solubility and crystallization
Melting point: 217.4°F (103°C)
Density: 1.69 g/cm³
1. clarification and purification
2.mixes with glucose syrup
Crystalline fructose(98% fructose)
The large amount of consumption of fructose is strongly suspected to lead to various types of diseases. However, the healthy intake way of fructose is still beneficial to human.