Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Francis Greenway
Who is this guy?
- Born on the 20th of November, 1777 in Gloucestershire, England
- Parents were Francis Greenway and Ann Greenway (formerly Webb)
- His family had been made up of stonemasons, architects and builders for generations
- Australia's first government architect
- Husband of Mary and father of three
- Owned a private practice as an architect
- Forged a document and was caught in 1812
- Originally sentenced to death
- Sentence was changed to fourteen years of transportation
- Stayed at Bristol's Newgate Prison while waiting
Life in Australia
- Arrived in Sydney in February, 1814 on the 'General Hewitt'
- He had traveled with his wife also
- As a convict, he was not given much freedom on the boat
- Within his first month, he was given a ‘ticket-of-leave’
- By 1816, he was appointed Civil Architect and Assistant Engineer
- Helped to create Sydney’s most important buildings at the time
Between his employment in 1815 and his dismissal in 1822, Greenway designed and oversaw over twenty projects, the main ones including:
The End of a Chapter
Francis Greenway left behind his legacy for the world to see.
ANYONE GET THE REFERENCE?? ;)
A scene of Newgate Prison painted by Francis Greenway himself in 1812 during his stay
Hyde Park Barracks
St James Church
South Head Light House
THANK YOU FOR
~ J & A
Most of these websites are government funded or educational :D Notice Wikipedia isn't there, it lied to us -_-