Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Urea-Formaldehyde
A non-transparent thermosetting plastic.
Produced from Urea and formaldehyde
High Tensile strength
Image by Tom Mooring
Decorative worktop laminates
resin can decompose:
in extremely humid conditions
in high temperatures,
cannot be used as an outdoor construction material.
noticeable increase in the formaldehyde levels in indoor air
toxic fumes given off when it cures
How it's Made
treating Urea with formaldehyde in and alkaline solution
creates mono and di-methoylol carbamates.
the carbamates undergo polycondensation.
Plastic is produced as powder or granules.
the manufacture of pressed wood products.
the bonding of plywood, particleboard and MDF.
can be manufactured at very low cost
Can be coloured
High surface hardness
enables the use for laminates
1. Name 2 properties of Urea-formaldehyde
2. Name 3 uses of Urea-formaldehyde
3. Provide a disadvantage and an advantage for using Urea-formaldehyde.
4. What are the two carbamates formed when urea and formaldehyde are mixed in an alkaline solution?
Thank You for listening!
By: Mariam Javeed