Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Common Prefixes, 10/03/2013
Transcript of Common Prefixes, 10/03/2013
understand and use
Thur, Oct. 03, 2013
our written work to improve the quality or make it better
is a word to which other word parts can be added
is a word part that is added to the beginning of a base word to change its meaning.
It is important to understand that words are made up of many parts.
Share your new words with class.
Explain and justify your choices.
Write a sentence that describes each picture.
Thur. Oct. 03, 2013
Complete Connotation Practice Sheet on “Why Am I So Black?”
negative & positive words
Individual Seat Work
Share & Response
The Student Pledge
“Inattention and careless work are the first steps on the road to failure! Success is built on a foundation of firm routine - good study habits that require daily exercise. I want success and promise to do my best to participate in class, to pay attention, and complete all my assignments in a timely manner. I shall be polite, avoid any and all rude behavior, and respectfully observe all classroom rules.”
Thur. Oct. 03, 2013
“"Pre-": The Prefix of Prefixes”
What are prefixes and how do they increase vocabulary?
Oct. 02, 2013
Word Structure & Prefixes
Complete "Making words from Prefixes"
"When I think of home..."
Describe a physical place and emotional space. Think of the details, people, smells, sounds, and memories.
You may use the vocabulary on the back of your cards.
arguments, confrontations, negativity
downpour, thunder showers
dirty, filthy, nasty
enemy, stranger, antagonist
old, outdated, raggedy
dump, rathole, shack
18. Word Decoding and Phonics 09/23/2013
19. Teach Prefixes, Roots, Suffixes 09/25/2013
20. "Pre" - The Prefix of Prefixes 09/25/2013
8. Structural Analysis 09/23/2013
9. Vocab Flashcards/Flipbooks 09/23/2013
10. Common Prefixes 09/25/2013
11. Common Latin Roots/Greek Roots 09/23/2013
6. The Writing Process & FCAs 09/19/2013
7. Braindrain 09/19/2013
8. Page Format 09/19/2013
10. How to Revise and Edit 09/24/2013
If you know prefixes, base and root words, your vocabulary will grow
Let's look at
How many new words can I make by adding prefixes to the word
too long over
1 2 3
read the product labels
then write the word that includes a prefix
explain the meaning
With your partner
look at the prefixes and root words
make as many words as you can
explain the meaning of the new word
Add • Remove • Move around • Substitute
when you remove the prefix,
the root word must be able to stand alone!
What is the root word in uncle?
When you remove "un-"... no real root word is left.
There is no such word as "cle".
What is the root word in unknown?
uni- means 1
bi- means 2
tri- means 3
quad- means 4
Prefixes are used in math
© 2013 hssparrow