Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
21st Century Math Tools and Technology
Transcript of 21st Century Math Tools and Technology
Karen Taylor, Instruction & Professional Development
Learning From the Field Conference, February 2015
21st Century Math Tools
The Role of Technology
" The field of mathematics education has changed greatly due to technology. Educational technology can facilitate simple computation and the visualization of mathematics situations and relationships, allowing students to better comprehend mathematical concepts in practice."
The Mathematics Framework adopted by state of CA, Nov. 2013
1. Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them
2. Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
3. Construct viable arguments & critique the
reasoning of others.
4. Model with mathematics.
5. Use appropriate tools strategically.
6. Attend to precision.
7. Look for and make use of structure.
8. Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
"It is expected that students will be able to integrate technology tools into their mathematical work. These tools might include pencil and paper, concrete models, a ruler, protractor, a calculator, a spreadsheet, a computer algebra system, a statistical package or dynamic geometry software. "
Dragonbox: Algebra & Geometry Gaming
Desmos Tour and Account Creation
1. set up account
2. tour sliders, tables, retrictions, regressions
3. students can create, email, embed and print graphs
4. Teacher Activities: https://teacher.desmos.com
What do you think about this?
8 Mathematical Practices
How are you using technology?
Integrating technology means a change in a pedagogical approach.
Greater access does not mean greater success.
Teaching a concept the same way with technology has no impact on a students' learning.
1. Concepts and Procedures:
Students can explain and apply mathematical concepts and interpret and carry out mathematical procedures with precision and fluency.
2. Problem Solving:
Students can solve a range of complex well- posed problems in pure and applied mathematics, making productive use of knowledge and problem solving strategies
3. Communicating Reasoning:
Students can clearly and precisely construct viable arguments to support their own reasoning and critique the reasoning of others.
4. Modeling and Data Analysis:
Students can analyze complex, real world scenarios and can construct and use mathematical models to solve problems.
Shifts in Classroom Practice
National Library of Virtual Manipulatives
National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
PBS Learning Media
Instructional Resources & Interactive Apps
Math Open Reference
California Department of Education. (2013) Technology in the Teaching of Mathematics. http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/ma/cf/documents/aug2013technology.pdf
build websites as a chapter summary
gives students choices (UDL approach)
example: Teacher & Student Example: http://moralesalgebra1finalproject.weebly.com/unit-2.html
Screen Casting and Instructional Videos
Create a website with Resources for students