Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM

Copy

Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.

DeleteCancel

Make your likes visible on Facebook?

Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.

No, thanks

EKATI Diamond Mine

A Project on The Ekati Diamond Mine
by

Matthew Holt

on 12 December 2012

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of EKATI Diamond Mine

The EKAT Diamond Mine is located 310 km north-east of Yellowknife N.W.T. near Lac de Gras The EKATI Diamond Mine Statistics and Stakeholders Annual sales from EKATI mine supply 3% of the worlds
rough diamond supply in weight and 11% in value. Between 1998 and 2009 the mine produced 45 000 000 karats of diamonds. BHP Billiton Inc. owns 80% of the stakes of the Ekati mine while the other 20% is split evenly between the two co-founders Dr. Charles E. Fipke and Dr. Steward E. Blusson. The diamond mine includes open pit and underground excavation areas Stakeholder: BHP Billiton Dr. Charles E. Fipke One of the founders of the EKATI mine he and Stewart Blusson each own 10% of the EKATI mine stakes and both helped to discover the indicator minerals for kimberlite (the host rock for diamonds) at Lac De Gras and later the actual kimberlite veins underneath the nearby Point Lake. Dr. Fipke is a multimillionaire. Dr. Stewart E. Blusson Dr. Blusson is the other co-founder of the EKATI diamond mine. He is a geologist who joined the Geological Survey of Canada, leading regional geological mapping and research projects in central Yukon and parts of British Columbia. History EKATI diamond mine was discovered by geologists Stewart Blusson, and Charles Fipke in 1998, but the kimberlite in 1991 and the indicator minerals in 1985. EKATI mine was originally owned by 4 different enterprises/people: BHP Billiton(51%), Dia Met Minerals(29%), Dr. Fipke(10%), and Dr. Blusson(10%). Interesting Facts The End By: Matthew Holt and Alex Fata BHP Billiton is a leading global resources company that owns 80% of EKATI mine. They are one of the worlds largest producers of major commodities such as aluminum, copper, energy coal, iron ore, manganese and nickel. They are a global company with over 100 locations worldwide.
Their main projects are the mining of diamonds and potash (mined and manufactured salts that have a high concentration of potassium) and project development. Sources www.Wikipedia.org
www.bhpbilliton.com www.Mining-technology.com
www.brilliantearth.com
www.greatmining.com
Blusson and Fipke first met when Fipke got stuck on a cliff and Blusson flew the helicopter that saved him
- Reasons against the Ekati diamond mine Open pit diamond mining has been common for many protests because a lot of environmentalists believe it is causing great environmental damage to many ecosystems and displacing large amounts of land.
hard rock mining is the most dangerous type of diamond mining since it is not only done deep underground but there are also high possibilities of explosion, cave-ins, and harmful gases.
workers are exposed to concentrated hydrogen cyanide gas, leaking of cyanide into the environment and exposure of surrounding communities to cyanide due to accidental releases.
The release of arsenic and other poisonous chemicals during the cyanide leaching process is very dangerous to the community and everything in it.
It also potentially increases the human intake of several toxic substances.
Accidental leaking of cyanide can go into rivers and streams and will kill the fish and other aquatic animals massively. Reasons to Support The EKATI Diamond Mine BHP Billiton and the other stakeholders of the EKATI mine support it because it is making them millions of dollars.
Other companies who buy EKATI diamonds support it because they get business, and therefore money, from the diamonds mined there.
Full transcript