Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Meaning of Life
Transcript of The Meaning of Life
of Life Do what you love; forget the rest. PASSION LOVE STRENGTH "But it is a sin to give men names which distinguish them from other men. Yet we call them the Golden One, for they are not like the others. The Golden One are not like the others." -Anthem Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -Dr. Suess I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. -Mark Twain Speech Team Music Theatre "A dancer dances." "Do what you love. Know your own bone;
gnaw at it; bury it; unearth it; and gnaw at it still."
-Henry David Thoreau "Hell is not in torture.
Hell is in an empty heart."
-Kahlil Gibran "It is obvious that we can no better explain a passion to a person
who has never experienced it as we can explain light to the blind."
-T.S. Eliot The "all for one" society in Anthem ultimately failed
because no members of the society were given the right
to explore their passions, find their niches, and chase their
dreams. It really is so simple- find what you love, and do it.
A civilization cannot function without everybody doing what
they were meant to do, but more importantly no one can live
their lives to the fullest and find the person they were meant
to be without doing what it is they're passionate about. A dancer dances.
But do you get it yet? It isn't about dancing.
It isn't about what I do.
It isn't about what you do.
It isn't about what anyone does.
It's about doing it. What am I
about? If music be the food of love,
play on. -Twelfth Night What is strength? What influences our choices? Strength is the ability to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands- and just eat one of those pieces. "This is the final test of a gentleman; his respect for those who can be of no possible service to him."
- William Lyon Phelps Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
- Mahatma Ghandi everyday choices morals family & friends experiences self-concept CHOICES How choices impact my life friends family entertainment animals Friends Family Theatre school friends what we
eat classes career "It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
-Albus Dumbledore “If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is compromise.” -Robert Fritz It may appear as though the citizens in the Brave New World society have the opportunity for choices, however all of that is predetermined before they are able to take on an active role in society. One of the reasons why Bernard and Helmholtz have such a hard time fitting into the society is because they aren't able to make the choices that they wish to. They are not able to express themselves, therefore not granting them the option to have a fulfilling life. "Maybe you don't like your job, maybe you didn't get enough sleep,well nobody likes their job, nobody got enough sleep. Maybe you just had the worst day of your life, but you know, there's no escape, there's no excuse, so just suck up and be nice." ~Ani DiFranco The societies of Anthem and Brave New World didn't function well because they lacked the principle of individual love. "The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful." -e.e. cummings "Those who hate most ferventely must have once loved deeply; those who want to deny the world must have once embraced what they now set on fire." ~Kurt Tucholsky "If everyone howled at every injustice, every act of barbarism, every act of unkindness, then we would be taking the first steps towards a real humanity." ~Nelson DeMille "I believe in humanity. We are an incredible species. We're still just a child creature, we're still being nasty to each other. And all children go through those phases. We're growing up, we're moving in adolescense now. When we grow up--man, we're going to be something!" ~Gene Roddenberry "Where there is love there is life." ~Mahatma Gandhi What makes me strong? Family The Cardturner (pg 67) Faith Friends We are six feet tall, and this is a burden, for there are not many men who are six feet tall. Ever have the Teachers and the Leaders pointed to us and frowned and said: "There is evil in your bones, Equality 7-2521, for your body has grown beyond the bodies of your brothers. -Anthem Hope is what makes us strong. It is why we are here. It is what we fight with when all else is lost. Music Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.
- Deuteronomy 31:6 "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin." -Brave New World "Sleep teaching was actually prohibited in England. There was something called liberalism. Parliament, if you know what that was, passed a law against it. The records survive. Speeches about liberty of the subject. Liberty to be inefficient and miserable. Freedom to be a round peg in a square hole." "All the world's a stage, and everything else is vaudeville." ~V For Vendetta Storms make trees take deeper roots. - Dolly Parton "I am not going to sit on my ass as the events that affect me unfold to determine the course of my life. I'm going to take a stand. I'm going to defend it. Right or wrong, I'm going to defend it." -Cameron, Ferris Bueller's Day Off