Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
" IFUGAO HOUSE "
Transcript of " IFUGAO HOUSE "
“ Ifugao house ” are a traditional
house types of the Philippines people. Typically, rural Philippines houses are
a single-room rectangular structure designed with three levels.
• The lowest level : datag or xassaran,located at the center of
• Immediate level : ramuyon ,
occupy three sides of the floor
proper (the lowest level).
• The highest level : tarakip ,
located on the remaining side of
the house is an extention.
The ifugao house has a square floor plan. Although the size of the house is determined by the socio-economic status of the people, an average Ifugao house is approximately 12-14 feet and 12-14 feet long.
Ifugao house was built by the Ifugao, people in Northern Luzon of Phillippines. Usually, a house is built on a firm flat
ground. For a hill, the
slope is leveled then
were situated near the rice
fields. A rice field may also be
drained and allowed to stand
for at least five months
before the site is prepared for house building.
Myth reveals to us that the first house in Ifugao originated from the Skyworld.
One day, Skyworld god Wigan looked down to the Earthworld and saw the lush but uninhabited land of Kay-ang (now Kiangan). “What a pity such fertile land is desolate,” he said to himself. Hence , he thought out a plan
to populate the place. That night he made a house and filled it with rice. Then , he made several cages, put in a couple of chicken, and hung it at the sides of the houses' floor beams. He tied pigs too on the posts.
Having ensured that everything is set , he carried his sleeping children , Cabbigat and Bugan , and brought them inside the house. After whispering farewell to his children , he carefully brought down the house to the riverside side in Kay-ang.
In the morning, Cabbigat and Bugan woke up and realized they were in a strange place. House building was, thus, initiated by the gods. The knowledge and skill was passed on to the human beings and later enhanced the technology to suit their needs and preferences.
- A windowless pyramidal structure resting on four posts.
- Ifugao has complex technology that renders it a tensile strength capable of withstanding devastating natural calamities.
- Constructed out of carefully selected indigenous timbers that are sturdily mortised, pegged, and latched to hold the house together.
Ifugao house is one of the most
admired ethnic architectural designs.
It caused from the many factors ,
such as the effects of christianization
, economic development , education ,
It designed for
as a shelter against
elements as well as to rest , procreate , and raise
Soon, Ifugao houses will cease if these are not preserved. With the dissipation of indigenous knowledge, Ifugao traditional house building technology may be lost. If that happens, a significant part of Ifugao heritage will be gone forever...
Sasithorn Hemsuthi M.6/4 No.19
Thumyaporn Chatayathorn M.6/4 No.32
Wasaporn Worapunyaanun M.6/4 No.36
Jeerawan Supaluck M.6/4 No.34