Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Bilingualism in Education
Transcript of Bilingualism in Education
-National Center for Education Statistics Quick Fact: What is it? Proposition 227 Was it effective? Advantages Possible Disadvantages Solutions Second Language Study Prepare Teachers Nurturing the First Language Cognitive Development Word to Word Relations Lifelong Brain Health Lower Vocabulary Levels Current Bilingual Programs Transitional Bilingual Education Dual Language Immersion Maintenance Bilingual Education ESL Complete Immersion Expectation to Assimilate Prolonged period of study to become proficient "All but two countries (Ireland and Scotland) in the European Union mandate the study of a foreign language, which usually begins in primary school. With the exception of Italy and Wales, all European students must learn a foreign language throughout their compulsory education"
- Eurydice 2005 Edition (European Education Journal) Increases cognitive ability Higher Performance in School Cultural Awareness Advantageous to college and professional career " One-third of teachers lack college preparation in the main subject areas they teach, and even fewer have preparation in their subject areas using ESL techniques."
- The National Center for Education Statistics Adopt "Fitness-to-Teach" Get those credentials Parents, Parents, Parents ! Cultural Preparation Children learn best in their native language Acquire academic language Retain self-identity and native culture For higher learning: developing classes specifically for native speakers