Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM


Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.


Serial Killers

No description

Aine Gallagher

on 2 December 2013

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of Serial Killers

Serial Killers

by Áine Gallagher, David Smyth, Immanuel Theis
Ted Bundy

Jeffrey Dahmer
1960 - 1994
Early Life
Born in West Allis, Wisconsin in 1960
His father was often far away from home due to work and his mother seemed to have mental illnesses
Teachers described Dahmer as a quiet and timid kid
Obsession with Death and Violent Fantasies
When he had to dissect a dead animal at school, he felt great excitement doing it
After that he started to pick up roadkill to dissect and dismember it
At the age of 15, Dahmer started having a fantasy of picking up a hitchhiker and "doing to him whatever [he] wanted to"
"The Nightmare Became Reality"
In 1978, at the age of 18, Dahmer made his fantasy come true by picking up a hitchhiker. He lured the man to his home by the pretext of having a drink. When the hitchhiker wanted to leave, Dahmer hit him with a dumbbell and then strangled him.

Becoming a Serial Killer
Dahmer started killing again in 1987, 9 years after his first murder. He stated that he did not plan to kill the man but just wanted to drug and have sex with him. When he woke up the next morning, Dahmer found a dead body next to him and could not remember what had happened. He kept the victim's head an started to actively seek victims.
Cannibalism and Even More Disturbing Stuff...
Jeffrey Dahmer did not kill his victims for the pleasure of killing. He wanted to keep them forever. So he tried to to make, what he called "living sex zombies". He drilled holes in the heads of his victims and filled them with different kinds of acid solutions to keep their bodies alive. Of course, this did not work and so he began to eat his victim's hearts - he felt that by doing that he would keep a part of them forever. He also started to keep more body parts. After he was arrested, he told psychologists that he even made plans to build a shrine ot of body parts.
Trial and Death
In 1991, Dahmer's last victim managed to escape his appartment and called the police. Jeffrey Dahmer was arrested and sentenced 16 terms of life imprisonment (although he did kill 17men).
In November 1994, Dahmer and another prisoner were beaten to death by a fellow inmate.
Gary Ridgway
• Gary Leon Ridgway (born February 18, 1949), an American serial killer known as the Green River Killer, was initially convicted of 48 separate murders and later confessed to nearly twice that number. As part of his plea bargain, an additional conviction was added, bringing the total number of convictions to 49
• Ridgway was born in Salt Lake City, Utah, to Mary Rita Steinman and Thomas Newton Ridgway. He has two brothers, Gregory Leon and Thomas Edward
• Ridgway's homelife was somewhat troubled; relatives have described his mother as domineering and have said that young Ridgway witnessed more than one violent argument between his parents
As a boy, Ridgway had a habit of wetting the bed. His mother would often be the one to discover the accidents and would bathe him immediately. She would also belittle and embarrass him in front of his family
First Encounter
• As a young child, Ridgway was tested with an IQ of 82, signifying low intelligence
When he was 16, he stabbed a six-year-old boy, who survived the attack. He had led the boy into the woods and then stabbed him through the ribs into his liver
According to the victim and Ridgway himself, Ridgway walked away laughing and saying, "I always wondered what it would be like to kill someone
• Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, Ridgway is believed to have murdered at least 71 women
The case of The Green River Killer was coming up with no solid leads, body after body turned up with nothing to work with
The first real help the police got came from Ted Bundy :
• Samples collected in 1987 were later subjected to a DNA analysis, providing the evidence for his arrest warrant.
On November 30, 2001, Ridgway was at the Kenworth Truck factory, where he worked as a spray painter, when police arrived to arrest him. Ridgway was arrested on suspicion of murdering four women nearly 20 years after first being identified as a potential suspect, when DNA evidence conclusively linked semen left in the victims to the saliva swab taken by the police
The four victims named in the original indictment were Marcia Chapman, Opal Mills, Cynthia Hinds, and Carol Ann Christensen. Three more victims—Wendy Coffield, Debra Bonner, and Debra Estes—were added to the indictment after a forensic scientist identified microscopic spray paint spheres as a specific brand and composition of paint used at the Kenworth factory during the specific time frame when these victims were killed.
On November 5, 2003, Ridgway entered a guilty plea to 48 charges of aggravated first degree murder as part of a plea bargain, agreed to in June, that would spare him execution in exchange for his cooperation in locating the remains of his victims and providing other details. In his statement accompanying his guilty plea, Ridgway explained that all of his victims had been killed inside King County, Washington, and that he had transported and dumped the remains of the two women near Portland to confuse the police.
Early Life
Born as Theodore Robert Cowell in Vermont in 1946
Believed his grandparents were his parents and his mother was his elder sister.
Mother married Johnnie Bundy in 1951, her son took his stepfather’s name, and was known thereafter as Ted Bundy.
In 1967, whilst a student at the University of Washington, he was to meet the girl who was to have the most profound effect on his life, fellow student Stephanie Brooks, whom he fell deeply in love.
She didn’t reciprocate with as much passion, however, and when she graduated in 1968 she ended their relationship abruptly.
Bundy's heart was broken and this had a huge impact on his life.
He dropped out of college for a while, and found out about his true parentage, which must have been a significant psychological blow.
However, as if to prove both Brooks and his family wrong, he threw himself into his studies with renewed vigour, becoming an honours student in his chosen field, psychology.
Shortly afterwards he started a new relationship that was to last five years, with Meg Anders, a divorcee with a young daughter, but his obsession with Brooks continued.

When he met up with Brooks again in 1973, she was amazed at the transformation in Bundy’s fortunes, and they rekindled their romance, with neither Brooks nor Anders knowing anything about the other.
Brooks began to believe that the relationship might lead to marriage, Bundy cut off all contact with her abruptly, in much the same way as she had done to him six years previously.
This revenge brought Bundy little comfort, however, and his rage was sublimated into a series of brutal attacks on women, who all shared Brooks’ physical characteristics.
The Killings
Seattle, Washington:
31 January 1974 - Lynda Healy, 21
12 March 1974 - Donna Manson, 19
17 April 1974 - Susan Rancourt, 18
6 May 1974 - Roberta Parks, 22
1 June 1974 - Brenda Ball, 22
11 June 1974 - Georgann Hawkins, 18
14 July 1974 - Janice Ott, 23
14 July 1974 - Denise Naslund, 19
Salt Lake City, Utah:
2 October 1974 - Nancy Wilcox, 16
18 October 1974 - Melissa Smith, 17
31 October 1974 - Laura Aime, 17
8 November 1974 - Debby Kent, 17
Aspen, Colorado:
12 January 1975 - Caryn Campbell, 23

Tallahassee, Florida:
15 January 1978 - Margaret Bowman, 21
15 January 1978 - Lisa Levy, 20
9 February 1978 - Kimberly Leach, 12

On 16 August 1975, Bundy was picked up, after a short chase, in Salt Lake County, after a local policeman recognised his VW Beetle.
A vehicle search revealed handcuffs, a ski mask and a crowbar, and Bundy was arrested. Police were convinced that they had their serial killer, and Carol DaRonch picked him out of an identity parade, strengthening the case against him considerably.

A full-scale investigation of Bundy’s past was launched, and Meg Anders provided assistance to the police.
Bundy continued to plead his innocence however and, despite credit card evidence linking him to the Taylor Mountains area, police were not able to conclusively tie him to the multiple murders there.
First Trial
Bundy went on trial in Utah, on 23 February 1976, for the aggravated kidnapping of DaRonch and, despite a relaxed and confident manner, he was found guilty and sentenced to a one to fifteen jail sentence in Utah State Prison, on 30 June 1976.

Determined Colorado investigators, dissatisfied with this outcome, decided that they had enough evidence to have him tried for the murder of Caryn Campbell, and they filed charges against him on 22 October 1976, which led to his extradition to Colorado in April 1977.
Escaping Prison
Bundy began to make plans to escape. He decided that he would represent himself at trial, and was granted library access to research his case. He managed to jump out of a window, whilst on a library visit, on 7 June. Police cordoned off the entire surrounding area, and Bundy was captured eight days later when he broke cover to leave town.

Despite additional security he managed to escape again, on 30 December 1977, by climbing through a suspended ceiling panel in the Garfield County Jail, where he was being held pending trial. His escape was not noticed until the next day, by which time he had taken a flight to Chicago, and then travelled on to Tallahassee, in Florida.
Second Trial
Bundy’s second trial took place on 25 June 1979 in Miami, Florida; and the charges related to the attacks and murders of the Florida University Sorority students. The testimony of one of the survivors proved damning for Bundy, who mounted his own defence, as did the dental evidence that linked him conclusively to the attacks.

The jury returned a verdict of guilty and, on 30 July 1979, the judge sentenced Bundy to death twice for the murders, by means of the electric chair. Bundy continued to maintain his innocence.
Third Trial
His third trial related to the murder of Kimberly Leach, and commenced on 7 January 1980.
Bundy decided against self-representation, and his defence counsel pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity.
Bundy had lost all traces of his confident demeanour by this stage, and the volume of forensic evidence and eyewitness testimony linking him to the crime convinced the jury to again return a guilty verdict.
Another sentence of death by electrocution was handed down on 7 February 1980.
Bundy confessed to an investigator that he had committed various acts of butchery and necrophilia, and various accounts cite his victim count anywhere between 26 and 40, with others believing the total may have been much higher.
It remains a matter of conjecture whether Bundy was simply exaggerating to prevent the inevitability of his execution.
All girls vanished without evidence or signs of struggle without drawing attention to Bundy himself.
All girls resembled Brooks: Slim, long brown hair, bright and attractive.
Bundy then fled Washington in Sept 1974 and enrolled as a Law student in Salt Lake City,Utah.
Girls started disappearing in suburban SLC.

Bundy’s failed abduction attempt of Carol DaRonch from a Utah shopping centre on 8 November 1974 gave police their first major break, providing further corroboration of Bundy’s identity, as well as a blood sample that resulted from his struggle with DaRonch.
Full transcript