Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Footnote to Youth
Transcript of Footnote to Youth
Footnote to Youth talks about the youth as of today. It was written by Jose Garcia Villa in 1933. It is the basic story of marrying very young and questioning the wisdom of making life choices at a young age that must be lived with. It also shows that a father's wisdom is not always something you can base your life on. If you make a decision, even at a young age, sometimes you must live with the consequences.
II. About the Author
National artist for Literature. He won a prize of 1000 from the Philippines Free Press in 1929 for his story “Mir-i-nisa”.
He introduced the reversed consonance rime scheme, including the comma poems that made full use of the punctuation mark in an innovative, poetic way.
Villa's works have been collected into the following books: Footnote to Youth,Many Voices, Poems by Doveglion and Have Come Am Here which brought him fame, honors and fellowships.
Villa received the American academy of arts and Letter’s Poetry Award, the Shelley Memorial Award, the Guggenheim, Bollingen, and Rockfeller fellowships for poetry.
It is all about a 17 year old man named Dodong who can’t wait to marry Teang. He was hesitant to tell it to his parents. But he ask permission to his father and then he allowed him. Then they've got married and lived together. Teang gave birth to Blas. Blas was not Dodong’s only child. More children came to them. Teang looks like shapeless and thin after all the responsibilities of a mother. She cried sometimes, wishing she had not married. Sometimes, she thinks that what if she marry Lucio,who is until now childless. Then one night the eighteen year old Blas also wants to marry Tona. Like what Dodong did when he was 17 was the one that Blas also did. Dodong allowed Blas to marry Tona but deep down inside he felt sad and sorry.
a note printed at the bottom of a page, to which attention is drawn by means of a reference mark in the body of a text.
Jose Garcia Villa
Footnote to Youth
by: Jose Garcia Villa
The setting has a great impact because the story definitely empathizes the situations of a Filipino person and it is appealing for us because we are at the poverty line. The setting is most likely the same setting as today.
Dodong wants to marry Teang and ask his father’s permission.
Thinking that they are still young, and their love would be short, Dodong’s father allowed them to be married.
Dodong saw her wife in the “papag” with his firstborn child. He heard his baby’s cry named Blas that pierced him queerly. He could not control the swelling happiness in him and also felt embarrassed because he is not still ready to support a family. Then Dodong wanted to touch the baby and give him a sense of father’s touch.
Teang secretly regretted being married at an early age, she wondered if she would have the same life if she marry Lucio, Dodong finally realized the hardships of marrying such an early age.
Blas at age of 18 wanted to marry Tona, Dodong did not object, but tried to make Blas think twice before rushing to marriage, because Dodong doesn’t want Blas to end up like him.
Man vs. Himself
1. Dodong married at the age of 17.
2. Teang regrets marrying Dodong.
3. Lucio, after getting married to another girl, their still childless.
4. Their son Blas followed their footsteps, marrying his object of affection at a very young age of 18.
5. Tona, the girl that Blas wants to marry.
Point of View
- Third Person Omniscient
- “BEING RESPONSIBLE”
- “THE CONCEPT OF LIFE”
- "TEEN AGE MARRIAGE"
- “History repeats itself”
It is always easy to get married but it is never easy to have a big responsibility.
Marriage is something that is taken seriously.
1. DODONG - Main character; An impulsive 17 year old boy who decided to enter married life in an early age.
2. TEANG - Dodong's girlfriend who later on became also his wife. She also regretted marrying in an early age.
3. LUCIO - A 26 year old suitor of Teang.
He married another girl after Teang got married to Dodong. He still doesn't have a child.
4. DODONG'S FATHER - A silent hardworking farmer. He also got married in early age.
5. BLAS - Dodong and Teang's oldest son
who later on followed their footsteps and decided to marry his girlfriend at the age of 18.
6. TONA - Blas' girlfriend
BLIND COLORLESS WORM
Dodong as he blindly
marched into marriage
SMALL ANGLED STONE
FLINGING OF WORM IN THE AIR