Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Antimicrobial agents
Inhibitors of cell wall synthesis
- ALL are BACTERICIDAL
- act on transpeptidase enzyme causing cell wall synthesis to shutdown
- Structure : beta lactam ring
beta lactam ring
- gram positive bacteria only
- side effects : red man syndrome
FIRST DISCOVERED Antibiotic
em and Mero
- the pen can terminate all the bacteria that are difficult to treat
1) ANTIBACTERIAL AGENTS
- Mechanism of action :
* inhibitors of cell wall synthesis
*inhibitors of bacterial protein synthesis
*inhibitors of nucleic acid synthesis
to be active beta lactam agent must be able to :
- penetrate the cell layers
- keep it's beta lactam ring intact
-bind to transpeptidase ( PBP )
was discovered by Alexander Fleming, Professor of Bacteriology at St. Mary's Hospital in London.
- 5 generations
- with each generation activity against
gram ngetive bacteris increases
- gram -ve aerobic bacteria only
Inhibitors of protein synthesis
- bacterial ribosomes are different from our ribosomes so these agents are only directed against pathogens
4 categories :
- ANTIbacterial agents
- the only bactericidal among other agents in the same category
- act on small subunit 30s
- interfere with initiation complex formation
- mostly end with (-mycin)
- act on gram -ve rodes
-" A MEAN GUY "
- block attachment of aminoacyl tRNA to the acceptor site
- a Macrolide
- gram +ve & ATYPICAL bacteria
- inhibits cytochrome P450s
- wide spectrum
- " gray baby syndrome "
Inhibitors of nucleic acid synthesis
- inhibition of folic acid synthesis
- Direct inhibition of nucleic acid synthesis
combinations to prevent resistance + provide additive effect
- kaplan pharmacology 2013
- microbiology MRS